1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Picking a cab for a Peavey Tour 700 head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kristi, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Kristi

Kristi

Apr 14, 2017
    Hey, so I decided to upgrade from combo amps, and I bought myself my first head a few days ago! Which is a Peavey tour 700 (700 watts at 4 ohms, 500 at 8 ohms). However now i'm looking at buying a cab (from Craigslist, because of budget concerns) and I'm trying to choose between two cabs. A GK Backline 410blx-II which is 400 watts at 8 ohms, and a Peavey 1810 which is 200 watts at 4 ohms.

I'm wondering which is the better purchase? Keeping in mind two things: 1) I'm afraid of blowing up the Peavey cab and 2) the Peavey cab is either quite heavy but manageable (50-60 lbs, according to the guy selling it, or it's almost the same size as I am (120 lbs, according to Peavey's website somewhere which I can no longer find). If it's the latter it's probably totally unusable for me. So what should I do?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I personally wouldn't get either, as the Backline cabs are garbage and the 1810 is too limited for as heavy as it is. Be patient...there are other cabs.

3. LeftyD

LeftyD Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Las Vegas
    The Peavey cab is definitely close to 120lbs in weight.

4. If you don't mind the weight (and if you are considering the 1810 you obviously don't) just get a used Ampeg 8 10 cab. I ran a Peavey head with one for a couple of years and it was amazing. The 1810 isn't really a very good sounding cab (just my opinion mind you) and neither is the backline.

5. Kristi

Kristi

Apr 14, 2017
    Well, a fair amount of the consideration is cost, both cabs I'm considering are less than $150, whereas the next best cabs (ie higher quality 4x10s, anything larger) are at least 3x as costly.

6. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    Might want to check out guitar center's used site as well

7. I've picked up used Peavey 4 10 cabs for as little as $150. They sounded better than either the backline or the 1810. I have had an 1820 (same cab , just updated) for several years now but have never gigged with it. I always preferred my Peavey 4 10 sound to the 1820.

8. Whil57

Whil57

Aug 7, 2013
    Long Island
    I'm very frustrated as i have both a Peavey Tour 700- the VB410 and the Peavey Max 115 practice amp. Sometimes it seems the Max 115 works better than the head and cabinet. In my opinion, the Tour doesnt have the juice to really push the VB series cabnets. I would do a DIY cabinet, but i dont understand the physics of the solid state versus the tube power. The Tour head claims to push 500 watts, but a speaker for a homemade only seems rated for 200 watts top that ive seen. I always like the Peavey tone, but the VB410 has got to go. I honestly really like a single 15 inch tone better. I wonder if i bought their cheap Headliner cabinet if the Tour would blow it out. Does anybody here use the Headliner cabinets?