1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Picking a fretless bass

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by AcidShred, Nov 10, 2006.

1. AcidShred

AcidShred

Nov 9, 2006
  2. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm not fond of that tone for myself, but I can see it being great for rock playing. Doing that on a fretless sure gives that sound a different flavor. Plus, that guy is a monster player to begin with.

Joe

3. AcidShred

AcidShred

Nov 9, 2006
    I would like some personal experiances. I think most fretless players must have did it once or twice?

4. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    AcidShred,

I see that you're a recent member of TB. Welcome! You're gonna' love it here!

I encourage you to check out bassist Michael Manring. Do a YouTube search. He doesn't play with a pick, but he's an amazing fretless bassist that can do what we can't even imagine.

Joe

5. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I have used a pick often on fretless. It's not much different than picking on a fretted, as Tony shows in the clip. I use it when I need a more agressive attack or am playing a bunch of doublestops or chords.

6. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    Recently I've been working with the Wedgie 5mm soft rubber pick. The good news is, it has NO pick noise, and an attack that sounds exactly like the soft part of a finger. The bad news is, these picks only last me about 2 weeks max before the tip is worn away too far to use anymore.

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Hmm...I'm not really digging that tone there...though I must commend him for doing something that you certainly wouldn't expect to hear coming from a fretless.

I mean, the fact that it's a fretless bass aside, it just doesn't sound good to me, it's so "out of control" almost. Give me a nice jazz bridge tone with some fingerstyle any day!

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've done it in the past, and it works. Different strokes for different folks. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I'll do it where needed.

9. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I do it all the time. It sounds like exactly what it is, playing a fretless bass with a pick. There's really no good way to describe it.

10. El-Bob

El-Bob

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    im speachless

11. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    That's quite an impressive performance, but there's nothing in that riffage that won't sound just as good with a fretted bass.

12. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    True, doesnt sound very different from a fretted when used like a pick for that, but i might be wrong since it was long ago i played a fretted. I like that clip tho, heard it before. Sounds good for rock and would prolly work w metal^^

13. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    :confused: What's up?

Joe

14. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    next will be using a pick on a big double bass.

15. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    No, they have bows for that.

Who cares how the bass is played as long as the resulting sound fits with the music.

16. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    one word: BEAUTIFUL

17. Download the songs Rosetta Stoned and Intension by Tool. The bassist Justin Chancellor used a fretless Wal with a pick on both those songs.

18. I use a pick most of the time, and I thought that clip was tasteless..way too much..something?..:confused:

19. s.m.80808

s.m.80808

May 5, 2006
    But it would probably sound more in tune.

20. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC