1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Picking an amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cuethenoise, Jul 26, 2012.

1. cuethenoise

cuethenoise

Jul 26, 2012
    So I have been looking for an amp around the $600 mark so far my list includes these:

Ampeg SVT 7 pro
    Carvin bx1500

Both these amps are class D hybrid amps. I do like the SVT dirty bass sound. I play a P-Bass. I can't find a sound clip of the carvin that uses my playing style (straight forward rock / punk). Plus I can't seem to find any stores with one around St. Louis where I can try one. I have heard they are pretty clean. I do have a sans amp tech 21 to dirty up the signal to my liking. I do like the fact the Carvin is made in the USA too. Any opinions?

2. If you want that gritty tone from the head I would say go with the 7-pro. As I understand it the Carvin isnt going to get you there. If you are open to using a pedal for the grit I would say go with the Carvin. More power, more options for cabs.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm biased of course, but the 7 Pro has a great grit sound as well as clean.