Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

picking, how-to guide anywhere?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by slick519, Mar 11, 2002.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    I dont know whats wrong with me. I first learned how to slap and pop, then fingerstyle, and now im embarking on pick. I just cant figure out how to pick. My teacher isnt a picking person, and i jsut cant find any online how to guides for picking.

Mostly, i dont know how to hold the pick, Ive heard so many ways, and i also am not sure what kinds of picks to use (jazz picks???)

well thanks alot,
    Slicks

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    you hold the pick between your thumb and forefinger and want to make sure you have strict alteration while picking. *downstroke, then upstroke* or upstroke, downstroke* just make sure you alternate between the 2 as you play.

what ever type of pick you use is strictly personal preference.

3. I started off as a pick bassist many moons ago. I used a pick because I couldn't do the licks fast enough with my fingers. First off... I would strongly encourage you NOT to use a pick, simply because all that beautiful, round, low end your bass can produce is gonna be ruined by the clickety-clack of a pick against the string. That said, if you MUST use a pick...

How to hold the pick is about as personal a decision as what type to use. Many players find they have to rest their palm on the bridge in order to accurately find the string they want while picking. This means you're picking the string close to the bridge, yeilding a really trebley sound (yuck). If you can, try to float your picking hand above the strings and attack the string with the flat side of the pointy part (don't give it a glancing blow with the edge). This might work best if you make a fist and wedge the pick between your thumb and first finger with the pointy part sticking out at a right angle to your thumb, or you can hold it between your thumb and first two fingers with the pointy part lined up with your thumb so it looks like an extention of your thumbnail. Hanging on to the pick is going to be tricky since the strings don't give so easy.

I would recommend a really heavy pick, but here again... it's all about what you're comfortable with. When I played with a pick it got ground into dust pretty quick. I used Dunlop teardrops, and I remember when I got done playing my bass was covered with pick-colored shavings. I think I saw a pick in a music store one time that was made of really stiff felt... that might be an interesting compromise between pick and fingers.

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Check out Carol Kaye's Site she's got some good information on playing with a pick.

5. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    well, i am very comfortable with my fingerstyle, and now im just looking for another style, and i am into alot of matt freeman style stuff. I can do most of the regular songs finger style, but the solos are kinda difficult with the fingers!

Well, I dont really need to use a pick, but i would like to learn how to pick matt freeman style, and pull off some of those amazing solos that he does, kinda hard w/ fingerstyle

well, thanks alot for all the input, greatly appreciated,
    =w=Slicks=w=