Picking on your poor guitar player....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by LoJoe, Jan 5, 2003.

1. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against guitar players. In fact prior to converting to bass mid last year, I was one for many years. It just struck me funny this morning how wimpy a guitar can seem sometimes in comparison to a bass. This morning our church music leader, who is also our lead guitarist came up with this little riff he wanted me to play to intro one of our songs for the service. He was showing me on his guitar's "mighty" low E string. He was digging in with his pick for all it was worth. After he had played it a few times to give me the idea, I gave it a try on MY little E string. With the windows rattling and the furniture vibrating, the difference was very comical and all the other members of the band just cracked up, including myself. Them poor little guitar strings don't stand a chance. Still love my guitarist though. :D
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    After a while us lowly groove players get taken for granted though. Just for fun at rehearsal I once or twice have paused a while in the middle of a song, or started playing very late, like after a couple of bars. The big difference in sound usually draws some glances from positively surprised band members. Just to show everbody what they'd be missing... :p
  3. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    guitar player ? we don't need no stinkin' guitar players...

really tho' I got so tired of abusing them that i just stopped playing with them. period. :)
  4. SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    I can play ALL of the instruments in our 15 piece Praise band(I choose bass 'cause it's the BEST) and , like you say, the difference is tremendous when the bass drops out. I heard a lyric once, can't remember where, that went "..and I dream a bass will join me so I won't sound so thin..":D
  5. I've stopped teasing them in general because so many seem to be nervous, neurotic and insecure.

Or really egocentric, self-centered (same thing, yeah, but doubled for effect:D) and insecure.

Maybe I just stop playing with them? But then there's the ocassional one that just behaves like a normal person, and that usually makes up for a few of the awkward ones.
  6. me and my guitar player always get into HUGE fights. people don't usually get what i mean when i say this.
    we don't have arguments, or "verbal confrontations"; we have physical fights where we beat the crap out of each other. we're usually laughing the whole time, and there're no hard feelings; we just like to work out a little bit o' stress and frustration by pummeling each other in good-natured fun.:D
    maturity is so overrated; i'm enjoying being immature as much as i can, while i still can.
  7. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    In my last band, I was the drummer and, well, it wasn't even really a band. It was me on drums and an acoustic guitarist/singer. More of a duo, well we played like that for about 6 months, and then got a bass player later, and WOW what a difference that bass made. It was like a "real" band after that, hehe. But now I'm back with the bass and loving it.
  8. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    The biggest problem with guitar players is that they never can grasp the concept the the 1-2-3-4 pluck pattern in about 180 tempo usually does sound better than that crap pattern they came up with that throws everyone off because when his prissy arse is done soloing, he always comes back in at the wrong time and blames it on the bassist and drummer. Really, it is your idiotic pluck pattern!
  9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Show at rehearsal with a guitar, and tell 'em about some music ideas, or better yet, "guitar parts" you want them to learn.
  10. Amen:D. Every time I make a suggestion to my guitar player i have to brace myself. Then if the suggestion is good, it just gets worse because it makes him more neurotic and insecure. At least practices are always interesting and unpredicatable:p.
  11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ

my drummer did that once and my guitarist punched him in the face...lol...

the next day i did it and the guitarist liked my ideas...:D

poor drummers....o well thats their fault for not choosing bass

i did that once and this was the exact convo afterwards:

Jon= Guitarist
    Jeremy= Drummer

Jon: Dude, that sounded horrible
    Jeremy: I know, what happened?
    Bob: I stopped playing
    Jeremy: Really?
    Bob: Yeah
    Jeremy: Whoa
    Jon: Bob
    Bob: What
    Jon: Don't ever do that again
    Jeremy: Yeah man, if you ever do that again...(gets interupted)
    Bob: (interupting) Jeremy shut up and start the song
    Jeremy: Ok...

(Song starts again wiht me playing this time)
    :D :D

12. Last year at my school's talent show, one of the seniors was showing off to a bunch of girls playing some Joe Satriani tunes. They were all drooling over him, so I quietly set up my five string behind them, plugged in, and turned it up a hair, and just let out some nice bluesy riffs... I guess its true, the girls just dig the longer, thicker necks ;)