Picking out a new bass guitar!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ArtieCarvalho, Aug 6, 2013.

1. ArtieCarvalho

ArtieCarvalho

Aug 6, 2013
    :help:
    As of right now I am a mediocre bassist (only been playing for about a year and a half now), and I'm stuck with a Soundgear by Ibanez SR250. It gets the job done, but it's quite uncomfortable, plastic feeling (given the price and quality) and generally displays an unpleasant tone during live settings. I've had a Squier by Fender Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass SS (Short Scale) previously, which I regret greatly in returning. My main problem is faced with wanting to play short scale. I am 5'4" and I have tiny hands, and when I picked up a Fender Mustang Bass for the first time, it felt quite amazing, smooth and comfortable. However, I've used a friends Squier by Fender Vintage Modified Jazz Bass 70's guitar and the tone and versatility was top notch for its price. Generally, what I've researched is that the Mustang Bass is described as a "mini-P bass", if you will. I enjoy being the basement for certain songs, but I also enjoy being able to crawl out of the muck and cut through with a clear mid-bright tone as well. So, to rap up my question, should I buy a Fender Mustang Bass or a Fender Jazz Bass? I want to be able to be low, but bright at times (which I presume has more to do with EQing or strings than anything, but I am unsure). The Fender Jazz Bass has an amazing tone, but at the expense of being uncomfortable. If you'd recommend a Fender Mustang Bass, I'd like to know why and which series, same goes for the Fender Jazz Bass. Regardless I am going to keep the Soundgear by Ibanez SR250 incase I may want to play something in dropped tuning, and maybe later down the road I'll upgrade when I have some extra cash. If you'd recommend a different kind of brand, feel free to fill me in with suggestions. Thank you for time. :)

2. ncapone

ncapone

Nov 17, 2010
    Out of those two, sounds like you need a Jazz Bass.

3. ArtieCarvalho

ArtieCarvalho

Aug 6, 2013
    Why do you say so?

4. Adub311

Adub311

Jun 25, 2011
    Whittier, CA
    Play a Jazz and see how you like it. Play other basses and see how you like them.
    It all depends on what you think feels good in your hands.

5. gr8bassplayer

gr8bassplayer

Feb 12, 2013
    Nebraska
    I love my Squier VM Jazz... For the price of a cheap Fender you can get a Squier and upgrade pickups, etc. if you want to.

6. ArtieCarvalho

ArtieCarvalho

Aug 6, 2013
    I'll definitely make some space during the weekend to go out to a Guitar Center or Sam Ash and play around. The only bummer is that everything in the store near me is untuned, but I'll definitely take your advice. I just want to make sure I don't have any last minute thoughts and keep switching, since I am pretty bad at over analyzing things. :smug:

7. ArtieCarvalho

ArtieCarvalho

Aug 6, 2013
    Would it really be necessary though? I've heard that the stock pickups on that bass are already amazing. I've also never modded an instrument before so I'd be a bit paranoid to accidentally mess the bass up.

8. Actually, a short scale Jaguar is what I'd recommend. You wouldn't be the first (or last) person on TB to sell something, regret it, and buy another one.

9. ArtieCarvalho

ArtieCarvalho

Aug 6, 2013
    What a terrible feeling regret is. If I were to do that I guess I would just upgrade the pickups.

10. gr8bassplayer

gr8bassplayer

Feb 12, 2013
    Nebraska
    As I said, that would be if you want to with the money you have left over. I have kept the stock pickups and I LOVE the tone, but of course there are many who don't.

11. When you go to try different basses, ask them if you can borrow a clip on headstock tuner and tune it up. Try different scale lengths and see how you like them. I play both 34" (Thunderbird) and 30" (Dano Longhorn). I like them both, and you can eq to make them sound whatever way you like.Squire just came out with a new 32" Telecaster bass which uses a jazz bass pickup near the bridge and a humbucker for the neck and its running in the 300.00 range. I'm considering ordering one of those myself in the not too distance future. Really nice looking bass with some great reviews. Good luck with your search!

12. ArtieCarvalho

ArtieCarvalho

Aug 6, 2013
    Thank you very much! I definitely will try all that I can get my little fingers around (definitely not a P-bass). :)

13. ncapone

ncapone

Nov 17, 2010
    You said that you want to be low, but also bright. A Jazz is perfect for that. I find that the Mustang doesn't get nearly as bright. Also, the scale length of a Jazz facilitates drop D a little more easily.

14. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Learn proper technique and you'll be able to play whatever bass you want. I've seen some small handed people play the hell out of a string bass. You should be able to comfortably play a precision.

15. msact

msact

Jan 8, 2013
    Somewhere in NJ
    +1

This is the key. One thing I do that helps me is to not wrap my thumb around the neck. I keep it on the back on of the neck and it greatly extends my reach. Also, I use all four fingers extensively, including my pinkie. I can play pretty much anything and that's with some minor nerve damage in my pinkie and ring fingers (cubital tunnel syndrome).

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021