Picking out cabs please help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seansbrew, Sep 11, 2002.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Why would I want to ad a 15" cab to my existing 4x10 cab? I have heard that this is the prefered set up,but when I plugged in 2 4x10 cabs it sounded alot beefier than the 4x10 with 1x15(I ran 500 watts per side) Is there something I am missing, or not understanding?Your replies are apreciated
  2. RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    I think this, as is the case with all equipment decisions, depends on your style and guitar. If you are using a 5 string and depend a lot on the Low-b you might consider the 15" just for the definition and low frequency provided. However, if you are looking for volume and more midrange the extra 4X10 will not do you wrong. You will definitely get more for you money volumewise with the 4X10, since four 10" cover more area so push more air than one 15" can.

I think it is just a preference thing really.
  3. Agreed, a 15" adds chunk. 10"s add snap. If you were playing a 5 string, I'd go for a 15", or an 8x10". If you liked two 4x10"s though, then go for that. At the end of the day, I'm a fat geek sat at a PC on the other side of the world. You can walk into the store and try for the sound in your head.