1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Picking problems (again,... but different this time)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Loempiaketzer, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Loempiaketzer

Loempiaketzer

Dec 2, 2006
    So,... i posted a topic a while ago about using a plectrum and have been practicing some for a while.

My problems where:

Bass going everypossible way because of "rude" playing - problem solved *dont know... just happened*

Irregular "stroking" - worked out fine in the end... no problem

the only big problem im comming on to now is this.

my bass is hanging a bit low-ish... *the lowest the belt allowed me to, but its a style issue and im not going to change that*
    and my problem is changing from strings to string *E-string to A-string for example*

I guess this will be solved by just... practicing.

and now heres the real problem... *finally*

my plectrum is not parrallel to the string which causes it to scrape the string which isnt the sound i want ofcourse.
    I can hold my plectrum otherwise but then i loose the steadyness of the normal way to hold it.

Soon i will post some pictures when my USBhubs are fixxed.

In the meantime...

thnq for any replys

ps sorry for the long post

2. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    Well, I suggest you start using your fingers, that'll give you a better feeling where you are on the strings, or just keep practicing I guess.

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

That is the core of your problem,you need to not be so concerned with how stylish you look but what is the best and most logical approach in assisting you in achieving the proper playing position whether you're playing finger style of utilizing a pic.

Try raising your bass a little higher because if your bass wasn't so low you would have no problem going from the E to the A and even to the D and G string.

4. JebSmells

JebSmells

Jul 23, 2007
    UK
    I used to play my bass behind my head at all times, some times with one hand strapped to the adjacent thigh, it was a style thing aswell, but i, like you found that my technique was being hampered by doing it, so i stopped....

I guess what i'm saying here is:

If you can't do it and you suspect the hight of your strap is at fault, then change it! what looks worse? Someone with a bass 2" higher than regulations stipulate or someone who can't play bass because they didn't want to carry it off the ground?

:bag:

5. Loempiaketzer

Loempiaketzer

Dec 2, 2006
    yep,... youre probably right. fingerstyle is ok though with it hanging so low... gues i need to adjust hights for different kinds of play?

I have been playing fingerstyle for 2.5 years now and i like this position best.

So should it be ok to be adjusting the basshight if i would play different songs? *sure would look weird :p*

6. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    it boils down to practice. when i started guitar, i flat out sucked. now i don't even have to look at the fretboard or strings most of the time.

7. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    back when i used pick i use to have that problem, this is how i sloved it:

lay the pick on the string, the tip of course (completely leve on the string, no elevation on either side at all), and then hold you thumb/hand in that way when you pick up the pick. Of course always hit the sting in that position alwell this way i found the pick use to hit the string the exact way i wanted it to and it felt comfortable.

8. JebSmells

JebSmells

Jul 23, 2007
    UK
    you can get straps (or i have one anyway) that have two holes in for different hights, if you can't find one and you want to alter the hight on stage then just heat up a screw driver and burn another hole into the strap, that way you can adjust the height of your bass with out having to pull the strap through. :bassist: ;)