picking problems

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassman60, Jul 26, 2001.

1. bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    Hey guys, I have been experimenting with picking over a good while that my band has not had the chance to practice (Singer sick). Anyways, I really liked the sound that I got with my Dunlop Tortex 1.0 at home. I thought it would be good to get that harsher metal tone combined with a good distortion pedal. Well, I played with the guys last night, just with a pick no distortion. They said the attack is good but that's it. They tell me it seems like a lot of my low end is gone as compared to using my fingers. I can play comfortably with both. So should I just try a different amp setting? Or should I just go back to playing with my fingers?

thanks for the advice Josh

oh, yeah, we're a hard rock band
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    To give a quick answer:

Try a compressor, that can even out the overall note so that attack and sustain phases are more at the same volume level to give you a fatter tone.
  3. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Try using a thicker pick. I use anything between a 1.6 and a 3mm, and that keeps the bottom quite well. And you're better off using sharp picks.

BUT, do remember that a thicker pick is a bit slower, so for faster songs either practice a lot or try to find a compromise between tone and speed.

I PERSONALLY would not recommend using your fingers if it's a hard rock band, but this is my opinion and I haven't heard you play. If your fingers can work with the music, then by all means use them. Also, listen to your bandmates. If you genuinely are better with fingers than fingers it is. (Needlessly to say, "listening" does not mean let them walk all over you).

So anyway, first try using a thicker pick. :)