picking the right bass (noob)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ski, Oct 23, 2005.

1. ski

Oct 23, 2005
    Ok, I'm a noob to the bass, though I did play the drums in the past - that being said I think I want to try the bass.

I really like basses with natural finishes like this Spector Legend 4 - I saw this bass in guitar center when I went in with a friend - not sure if it will be the kind of sound that I'll like but its gives an idea of the type of look I like.

But more importantly I suppose is the type of sound the guitar will make - I mostly listen to pretty chill music and some rock like Dispatch, Ben Harper, Third Eye Blind, Better than Ezra, RHCP, etc.

As far as budget goes, i guess under $600 for the guitar would be the target range - new/used doesn't really matter to me btw.

Given that, what would yall recommend?
  2. I just got a marcus miller four string in the natural finish and just love it. I wasn't a fender fan till i got this bass. It is amazing since it has a passive/active switch and onboard eq. I can get just about all the sounds i use from this guitar. I would totally recommend this guitar. It is slightly above your listed price range but might find a used one for that amount. YOu might look at some of the Ibanez guitars for lower priced yet very good instruments. I played a btb before getting the fender. I'm selling the btb by the way if anyone is interested.
  3. ski

Oct 23, 2005
  4. djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    Bumping a thread after less than 12 hours? Umm... okay.

The Spector you linked to is in your price range. Go for it.
  5. what does bump mean and to whom is it directed
  6. ski

Oct 23, 2005
    bump is used to take the post to the top of the forum...I figured I needed to because most of the forums I visit, if its on page 2, the thread won't get seen, however this is apparently a very active forum where that rule does not seem to apply, sorry guys
  7. try some out. head out to your local GC or w/e you have closest and try them out. Otherwise, you could end up being turned off from bass playing altogether.
  8. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Do you need to factor in the price of an amp as well, or is it $600 for just the bass?
  9. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    FWIW I have managed to get my sound with any bass I ever owned and any amp I ever owned.

I now play an SR5 exclusivley and still got that sound I know to be me. Quality is what led me to it.

Try them all and get the best you can afford if you are serious about playing.

10. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Get something fairly standard, at least that's what I'd say. You're not going to pick your ideal bass, or even one near it, on your first try, because you still have no idea what it is! Your taste in bass tones will change, so don't get something too specialized. That's what I mean when I say get something standard. An industry standard like a J or P should serve just fine as starter instruments. Something not so typical, like that Spector, might end up against your preferences in the future. Few people can be wholly unsatisfied with a J or P.