1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Picking the right bass

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by TheDealio, Dec 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TheDealio

TheDealio

Dec 23, 2017
    I've been playing bass for 3 years now (although not very seriously up untill a few months ago). I currently have a Fender standard dimension bass, but I want get another. I've been looking at Rickenbackers, but I have not played one yet. I've also heard that they have quite a few problems, aren't very versatile and are over priced.
    I'm gonna play a bunch before I decide, of course, but does anyone have any suggestions? What do y'all like a lot? Don't like?

Thanks!

2. IMO you pay more you get more. The ole rule of supply and demand seems to work that problem out and everyone is competitive. I've never played the bass in question...

Do I need more? My Yamaha P bass that I paid $300+ for does everything I ask it to do. I've actually got more invested in amps than the bass itself. Now days I play at churches and leave an amp where we play so I do not have to set up each time.

So --- my opinion. Is the bass you now have not doing what you ask it to do? If it's not go get another, if it is you've got GAS. Let it pass.....:)

Back when I played golf, it was the clubs fault. If I could just get a new set of custom built, just for me, my score would get better. It did help, but, not that much. Don't tell my wife ---

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  3. TheDealio

TheDealio

Dec 23, 2017
    I've been happy with my bass (except for a few problems with the jack). Thanks for the input!

4. Get just what you'd like to have you will find good and something you don't love or like in a lot of basses I was told to get what I could afford and go from there I have 5 basses now got them like 2 to 3 years apart and I may end up with 5 more all have been customized to my liking 2 passive 3 active.