1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Picking the right cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jnslprd, Feb 7, 2018.

1. jnslprd

jnslprd

Jun 26, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Hello all.
    I presently have a GK 700 RB-ll and a neo 2-12 cabinet. After a long time of lusting for a large Ampeg tube amp, I finally couldn't resist and purchased an SVT VR head. The Icing for me was the amp was the amp belonged to a Famous musician who I an a big fan of.

Now here is my dilemma.
    I am currently not in a band or plan on being in one anytime soon. I will be playing this amp in a small room where the GK set up was over powering enough and volume rarely went above 10 o'clock.

Is it crazy to want the matching 810 ?
    Does it matter what volume the SVT is used at? Can playing too low damage anything?
    Are there better choices of smaller cabinets to go with the SVT head?

I just started really playing again after Carpal tunnel surgery and am able to finally afford all the equipment I dreamed about 20 years ago when I was in a band, and this will be my first tube amp.

Thanks to all.

LeftyD likes this.
  2. Crazy to want the matching 8x10?
    It's crazy not to want it.

If they didn't want you playing at low volume, the pot would only go down to 9 O'Clock.

Dime it, nickle it, penny it. How many times will you have this good of an excuse to have the full 'fridge?
    You live on an island. Maybe the missiles fall tomorrow, who knows. Ya want it, can afford it, go for it!

Just promise to post some pics so the rest of us can drool in envy.

ScottTunes, five7, 4001 and 5 others like this.
  3. LeftyD

LeftyD Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Las Vegas
    You won't damage anything by playing too low.
    I think the VR head has an ultra low switch which is good for low volume playing.
    The 810 might be crazy, but way cool and some say sound good at low volume.
    Big fan of overkill.

4. Even if your GK 212 is the 8 ohm one you can use it at low volume. Add another 212 for rodent control.

AstroSonic and jnslprd like this.
  5. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've been there and done that. Regardless of the volume, the SVT-VR fan is annoying (at low volumes) compared to other amps...it is made for playing loud.

While the 8x10 cab may seem appealing, it becomes a lot of overkill--especially in a small room. Having said that, since you don't plan on moving the 810, cab size/weight is not a huge factor. You can't go wrong with a good 8x10!

In terms of the amp, I think the best of both worlds would be the 810 with a Ampeg V4B or PF50T. Both are quiet as a mouse and can accomodate playing at lower volumes. You can even get some grit out of the V4B at high gain/low volume settings that is not possible until much higher gain/volume settings with the SVT-VR.

DenverontheOne and jnslprd like this.
  6. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    For low volume playing with an SVT, I'd get the smallest 4 ohm cabinet you can find that the head can physically sit on safely and can handle 300+ watts. If you like 2x12" cabs and want something that'll also work well with your GK, I bet the Ampeg SVT-212AV cabinet would be a good option.

That said, used Ampeg 8x10s are quite affordable. I bought mine used with a padded cover for a fair bit less than the new price of the Ampeg 2x12 cabinet. I use it with a 1001RB-II so I can verify that it's a good match!

son_of_mogh, gsgbass and jnslprd like this.
  7. jnslprd

jnslprd

Jun 26, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks everyone.
    Forgot to mention the GK cab is 4ohm and was possibility thinking of running the SVT on that.
    I also forgot about the large fan on the amp. Does the fan run constantly or just when the amp gets hot? Is there any options for quieter fans?

Thanks again everyone, Hopefully the amp arrives packaged well and not full of broken tubes.

8. Go for the 810. You won't regret especially since you won't be movie g it a lot. I gotta ask. Who was the famous musician that previously owned the amp?

jnslprd likes this.
  9. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I'd have a look for the Ampeg SVT-210HE Classic. That cab sounds great at low volume and won't get in the way.

pbassjbass and jnslprd like this.
  10. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The fan runs continuously on my vintage SVTs. I believe it's the same for the VR.

A 4 ohm GK cab should work fine with the SVT. You might prefer to dial the tweeter back or turn it off. The GK will sound quite different than an 810.

Try an 810 before you buy. If you like the sound, go for it and play it as loud or as quiet as you want. I use a pair of Electro Voice TL405s. Each cab is 13 cubic feet and has one EVM18B driver. They sound glorious in my basement and are way to big to gig.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    dawind99 and jnslprd like this.
  11. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

Heritage 810. Or 212 AV, Just my opinion.

dukeorock and jnslprd like this.
  12. Since you aren't looking to gig it soon
    and don't expect to get loud,
    just use the G-K 212 for now.
    It will be happy (not sure how it might feel
    if you decided to turn up to 11 ). ;)
    Doing that will keep you from feeling like you have to get an 810 right away.
    Than you can take your time and be on the look out for someone wanting
    to sell an 810 in a hurry because they are moving, divorcing or need bail money.
    Under the right circumstances they can be had for way less.

13. Andrew Moss

Andrew Moss

Jan 9, 2018
    Crazy for wanting the 8x10? Maybe in a small room. Unless, of course, you like feeling your eyeballs rattle in their sockets.

That rig is pretty amazing though it’s like a wave washing over you. Feels good. I would never gig with something that big, but since you don’t plan on bringing it outside the house I say do it!

jnslprd likes this.
  14. The Ampeg SVT-212AV works well with Ampeg tube heads. The SVT-212AV, with a V-4B perched on top.

5Jty2Wg.

mesaplayer83, 9mmMike and jnslprd like this.
  15. jnslprd

jnslprd

Jun 26, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    SOLD - Tim Commerford’s SVT VR (RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE)

Without much pressure my wife forced me to buy it at the slightest chance that it shared the same stage with Chris Cornell.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    MobileHolmes and Omega Monkey like this.
  16. jnslprd

jnslprd

Jun 26, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks everyone for taking some time and helping me out.
    Gotta admit that 212av looks killer that's one sexy amp.

P-oddz likes this.
  17. Super Bass

Super Bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    Really I find the Ampeg 810 to be one of the sweetest sounding cabs out there. I like mine with a Ampeg V4BH for lower volumes and a Verellen 100 watt meatsmoke for the more disturbing stuff.

jnslprd likes this.
  18. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    To me the 810 is a weird animal. As a standalone cab it's almost good. But when you hit the stage something magic happens. I've also noticed you need to crank some gain and EQ into it to make sound even better.
    But I've always used ported cabs with tweeters. Which are totally different from the famous 810.

I've also owned the 610HLF. THAT cab is to me one of the best I've ever owned and tried. Ampeg must make a NEO version of it, and it would be for me one of the best cabs ever!

jnslprd likes this.
  19. The SVT810 is a fantastic cab... and most say the Heritage model is the best yet. I've not used a Heritage one.... but owned and loved a regular SVT810
    I also owned a Bergantino NV412 which - I think - sounds a lot like the Ampeg 810 but.... again for me. . in a more manageable package. I thought it more like the SVT810 than the Berg NV610
    All great cabs. And. .. imo... all sound good quiet as well as loud. My 2c... if you want it. . get it . You only live once!

jnslprd likes this.
  20. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have the V4B and the 212AV x2! I will post a pic in a bit. It not only looks incredible, but sounds that way as well!