Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Picking this up on Friday.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Jun 9, 2002.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Went with Dave to Curbow's on Saturday. He was picking up his new Curbow Jazz Bass (expect a thread soon), and I took some pics of my 8 string fretless. It's back with its finish (satin poly), and is almost done. All Greg has to do is put it together. I'll be taking a half day off from work to go and pick it up on Friday.

This:
    [​IMG]

has become this:

[​IMG]
    Bookmatched Burled elm top/one piece mahogany back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Quartersawn rockwood light neck with a fretless rockwood fretboard
    [​IMG]
    That's the battery compartment for the 18V preamp.

2. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Looks like its gonna be a nice one. Keep the pics coming.

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    great body. it will be a killer bass!

4. Yeah...It's really gorgeous! It's smoother than a baby's butt too! I can't wait to hear it.

Lisa

5. Yeah nice body, I love the bookmatched burled elm top looks great. Keep them coming.

6. Great shape and excellant woods. That contour on the top is sweet!

So, what's the string set up (are you going with the double note thing or individual pitches)?

7. drool
    Looks nice, man.

Reminds me to get back to work on my custom.

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    sweet bass,jason...from the way the headstock looks, the octave string will be on bottom? really sweet idea. it will probably make playing fingerstyle a lot easier than the "normal" 8 string setup. i think i may have to get a wood bodied carved top curbow :D schweet

9. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I think you need to get one, too. :D

10. What's the story? We were expecting a full review with final photos of the finished bass within 45 minutes of the time you got home! :)

Mike

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, Curbow is still on Curbow time, so Friday has turned into "Wednesday at the latest." I don't mind. I'd rather have it done right, than fast. And, he is trying to get a couple of things finished before he leaves town, and I get relegated to last since I've known him the longest, and I'm also the closest.

Trust me--you'll know the second it is in my hands.

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    right ON

can't wait to see it, man

13. Alas, I'm all too much like Greg, so I certainly can't complain. :) But it's cool to be able to watch this thing take shape, and we're all anxious to see the final results.

Did you make it up to the shop at all? I'm interested in my 6, of course, but don't really expect much to happen there for a while--it's probably still a few boards and a pile of parts, and maybe a blueprint. I'm more curious about how Scott's blueburst Ripley mutant is shaping up...

Mike

14. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Nah, I didn't make it up to the shop. I figured that it wasn't worth a four hour round trip to see it half done. It would just make me sad. I have to call him this afternoon to see what's going on.

Scott's Ripley was one of the ones he has to finish, and I know Greg wasn't looking forward to putting those electonics back in there. It's only got, what, 107 knobs? :D

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i just can't get over the amount of detail that you see in greg's basses...everything always looks so perfect, the joints are always...perfect...it's like the guy is half man, half CNC mill, or something :D

16. You're definately right about that--I've never seen neck joints tighter than Greg's, or better fretwork, not to mention the carved tops.

Jason, if you happen to talk to him this afternoon, would you see if he's had any progres with the single-cutaway drawings? If he's trying to finish up a bunch of stuff, I'd prefer not to interrupt him in the shop or give him the idea that I'm trying to rush things, but it's been a few weeks since I talked to him.

Mike