1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Picking up a BG gig after years away

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by sevenyearsdown, Mar 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Like a bunch of other folks here, I was a pretty decent bass guitarist for years prior to moving to upright. Other than dabbling with it on occassion, I haven't played it in a serious situation in about 8 years. Recently I had a friend who's putting together a new project ask me to play bass guitar for him, and I figured I'd give it a shot.

So I pulled the old Fender out and started playing, and I suck now. The music side of my brain functions so much differently than it did prior to playing upright. I went back and listened to some recordings from years ago I did playing some good swinging/walking lines, and sure enough - I was decent at one point.

Hopefully I can knock the rust off quickly, and this project isn't rocket science! Anyway, just an interesting experience to me I thought I'd share. Gives me a new perspective on you guys that double a lot.

Groove Doctor and neddyrow like this.
  2. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    In the same boat. I'm supposed to fill in for a big band next week and they asked me to bring my electric as they do a couple funk tunes. I busted out the ole Jazz Bass and realized that not only do i suck, but that i don't even like playing the thing that much. I'd rather just play the parts on the upright.

It's just a sub for a rehearsal, so not a huge amount of pressure, but i'm a bit nervous as to how the electric parts are going to sound. I'm also now wondering if i need to work the electric into my practice routine.

3. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I like teaching BG, but I don't play it in public. I have a Mexican jazz bass, and it sounds the way I expect it to, so it is fun to play. I just spend time playing heads and classical solos on it, trying to reduce fret noise as much and as I can.
    Working out chords to tunes is a great way to get your technique solid and get some work done that relates back to double bass.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    sevenyearsdown likes this.
  4. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I always play fretless on electric gigs usually on P bass. Switching to a short scale fretless bass soon which should be fun. I'm a bit out of sync with the electric side also though and really enjoy playing the double bass more.