Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Picking up my new G&L fretless tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BehindTheMoon, Jan 17, 2003.

1. I ordered a fretless L-2000 (sunburst, lines) late last year and now it's come in. I get to lay my sweaty little hands on it for the first time sometime tomorrow.

:) :D :)

2. Remember to post a picture if possible... :D

3. Ah the L2K..fretless , you say...ooooh , niiice. [​IMG][/IMG]

4. Sorry, no scanner and no digital camera. :( Maybe I can scab one.

I'm putting dents in the ceiling right now... I can't wait. :)

5. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    Ya know, i was just looking through the Musician's Freind catalog while on the toilet this morning and saw their Rogue frettless and I thought to myself, "Damn, I REALLY wish G&L made a frettless L2000 with a maple neck" then I see your post! You understand that because you made your post you are now under an obligation to provide a pic....J/K...

I Didn't know they made them...if you have a URL for a pic or two, I would be grateful...

BTW, good taste, you lucky SOB....

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Congrats, post pics and a review!

If I ever got a fretless G&L I think Id go with the L-1505.

Peace
    Nick

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Congrats!!!! L-2000 are really great basses!!! I have one for about 9 years & I never think of selling her. :)

8. Hey BassDodger, I think there's a pic of a fretless sunburst L2500 on G&L's site. Just the same as mine but with an extra string (and no lines). I'll dig up the link for you.

Yep, here we go. Pretty. :)

9. Ah.... sweet. :)

I've been playing it for the last hour or so, and although it needs a good setup I love it to bits.

The bass is quite heavy and feels solid. I like that. Hardware looks well put together, particularly the bridge, and the feel of the controls is lovely and very firm. The tuning pegs turn and tune smoothly. Little things, but important.

The controls are not exactly dead simple, but I have no issue with them - I have master volume, treble and bass, and then three switches controlling pickup selection, series/parallel, and then three preamp modes (active treble boost, active, passive). Lots of tonal options, most of which I probably don't need, but who cares. Both pickups have a very musical and useful sound - a relief for me because I hate the bridge pickup on most basses I've tried so far.

The balance is very enjoyable either standing up or sitting down - much, much better than my P-Bass Lyte. It looks very nice - the fretboard has grooves in it rather than the white lines I specified, but at this point I'm too blissed out to care. The finish is an understated sunburst, and I couldn't find any flaws.

It plays very nicely on the bottom two strings. The top two strings are up a touch too high and aren't quite singing like they should, but a setup should cure that. Intonation is good - the bass', not mine.
    :)

I love it. Woodshed time for me!

10. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I was expecting Jasonbraatz to be one of the first to reply to this ;) "Yoo Jaaason~??~"

DM

Congrats on the New bass.. posting a new pic would be a must!!

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    There are grooves in the fretboard? That seems very weird.:confused:

12. Yeah, that's what I thought at first. They must cut the slots with the normal fretting jig and then simply not fill them in. They don't seem to affect the instrument at all, although they might pick up dirt a bit.

Right now my main problem is learning how to play fretless - Whew! Being REALLY in tune is a lot harder than I thought.

Sounds lovely though. :)

13. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    Thanks for the pic...now I have something else to salivate over...(Homer Simpson Voice ON{ ...mmmmmmmm....Fretless.....} Homer Simpson voice OFF)

I LOOKS like it would play quite well. I have an L-2000 and I can tell you, it's by far the most versitile bass I have ever run across. It's heavy like it was built for military purposes and G&L doesn't skimp on things like wood...they get the best they can. Those pickups you have (in case you never dealt with a G&L before) are in a league of their own and have the patent numbers to prove it. How these pickups are combined with their switches can provide at LEAST 8 distinct tonal variations- I have yet to run across a true bass guitar sound that I could not emulate with the G&L.

As far as learning fretless, you'll get it and probably never look back. My second bass was a Fender jazz fretless and it never left the house for a year until I was sure I mastered it, but that was when I was young. If I started fretless again, I don't think It would see the outside world for about 6 months, but that's just me...

Your hands will get used to it soon, though. Good luck with it and thanks again for the wonderful pic and reveiw...

14. Yeah, I'm starting to wish I had a fretted one. :)

Getting a handle on the fretless thing, too. I've being doing lots of intonation work with a keyboard I have - it has a record/playback feature which is proving incredibly useful.

Now I need a great amp to bring out the best in the bass.