1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Picking Up My Second (1st REAL) Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Double the Beef, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Double the Beef

Double the Beef

Apr 7, 2009
    I started playing bass a couple months ago on my father's 40 year old Greco Paul McCartney Beatles Bass. To sum it up its a POS. The frets are worn down, the bridge is crooked, the bass is buzzy (not user error), and it has loads of electrical problems. I want to pick up a bass under $400. After looking for countless hours at the mess load of different basses, I think I may get a Yamaha BB414. Seems like a good choice after reading the great reviews of it here. Should I pull the trigger? Any other suggestions? Im going to be playing classic rock and hard rock but I would really like to play funk, jazz, and groove to some disco tunes, although I cant slap yet. Thanks in advance!

p.s Why do some colors cost $100 more than others? I have my eye on the wine red version but its $100 more than the orange and I dont think a color justifies that much money unless there is some other reason for the price increase.
    EDIT: BB414 vs BB616? I hear that the preamp is poor on the 616 but is having the preamp still a +?

2. Double the Beef

Double the Beef

Apr 7, 2009
    bump

3. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
  4. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    a bb414 is a great choice for the cash, but your 400 may go further in the tb classifieds... lots of reliable guys selling great basses in very price range and the values are great

5. mytmous

mytmous

Mar 10, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You're likely to get a lot of responses and a lot of opinions from this question based on people's own experience and brand preferences. The most resounding answer you will get is going to be to spend a lot of time at your local music shop trying out as many basses as possible (I'm not sure from your post whether or not you've spent time playing basses or just looking through catalogs).

From my experience, after going through a ton of different brands and models over the years, it boils down to what feels good and sounds good to you. I fell into the trap of buying a certain brand or model because someone else told me how "awesome" it was, only to find out it wasn't for me. I've passed over quite a few perfectly good basses because I thought they were "beneath me" or a "beginner's bass". To be honest, just because I spent $200 on a bass, it doesn't make it any less capable of producing a good clear sound and letting me express myself through music. If it feels right in your hands and you like the sound, buy it.

My advice would be to try out all the basses that you can get your hands on. That includes the ones out of your price range. That way you get a good sampling of the differences in sound and feel. If you find "the one", but it's a little out of your price range, don't pass on it and end up buying something you may regret later. You have something to practice on (although not the best instrument) and you can continue to use it until you can save up the money for what fits you. Then again, if that $49 pawn shop special "makes it" for you, go for it.

Sorry for the long post. And welcome to TB.

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
  7. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    I haven't found any in the poor as hell range like I'm lookin for. :(

8. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    sx sx sx sx sx sx sx sx sx sx sx

9. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    Why not try out a used MIM jazz? They'd run you around 300-350..

Or, just play some stuff and get what feels good to you.

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    +1 on that. I'm not a gear snob or anything like that, but I almost always recommend that people save up a little more to buy something a tad bit better than what is usually found in the $400 range. Overall, the basses in the $600 to $700 range usually yield a better tone, better playability, have a nicer fit/finish, and fretwork, overall the quality is usually just better. Since the OP already has something to practice on IMO I think he'd be better off enduring the POS untill he saves up another $200 or $300 to open up his options a bit more.

But if the OP doesn't want to do that then here are other recommendations within his price range.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR400QM-Soundgear-Electric-Bass?sku=511825

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-BTB200-Electric-4String-Bass?sku=517952

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Grind-Bass-4-BXP-NTB-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=511363

11. Double the Beef

Double the Beef

Apr 7, 2009
    Wow! Thanks for the replies guys. Ideally I would like to spend the extra $200-$300 on a Lakland, G&L, or Geddy but I just cant justify the price. Ill look into the TB classifieds. Anyone know why some colors are more expensive than others?

12. mytmous

mytmous

Mar 10, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The price differences for different colors really boils down to one of two things: either the price of the materials, or the amount of work to acheive the finish. I'm speaking from an automotive perspective on this one (because that's the area I'm familiar with on paint). It's a lot more difficult to apply a candy or transparent color than a solid white for example. Some colors will hide imperfections left after poor prep work where other colors wil enhance or highlight imperfections. Some colors are more expensive due to the amount of material or type of material required to prduce them. More pigments or solids for example may cost a little more.

Just my $.02

13. Double the Beef

Double the Beef

Apr 7, 2009
    Looks like I may be picking up a MIM Jazz!