1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Picking up radio stations!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by snowplow, Mar 23, 2013.

1. snowplow

snowplow

Jan 4, 2012
    Michigan
    I've had my Acoustic B600 for just shy of a year, ran my direct out of my head through numerous PAs. Played a gig last week and it was playing a station through the house. Only time this has ever happened. Anything that can fix this or just run a DI before it from now on?

2. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    This happens to me at home too through one of my basses... my older, unshielded G&L L-2500. I assume it's the bass not the amp, but I could be wrong. What bass were you playing?

I've gigged the G&L quite a bit and it's never a problem other than this one little spot in my house which is on the back side of a brick fireplace kind-of in a corner.

3. snowplow

snowplow

Jan 4, 2012
    Michigan
    2012 American Pbass. It's not like it was a dive bar pa either. It was one of the better music venues around. I originally thought it was my wireless, but when I switched to cable it was still there. Once they put their DI on it. It was gone.

4. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Google or search here for ferrite choke. Add one to instrument and power cable. Cheap and easy. Problem solved.

5. snowplow

snowplow

Jan 4, 2012
    Michigan
    Thanks! Should of searched for this before hand! Seems pretty common.

6. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Do you use a power surge protector? Some filter RF from the line and it may have come in through there. I borrowed a noise "sniffer" that's supposed to be used for selling Munster Cable power devices and without anything between that and the receptacle, I was listening to a baseball game. I plugged it onto my power strip and it was dead silent. With the Munster Cable power strip, I could still hear noise.

If this happens again, I would plug in the instrument cable but short the end- that's a worst-case scenario for an amp WRT noise and it helps to isolate where it's coming from. Slightly bad grounding or shielding reveals this kind of noise, too. A bad ground inside of an amp makes a lot of people claim it's the instrument, but the amp's integrity has to be high for any noise to be successfully attenuated or rejected.

7. snowplow

snowplow

Jan 4, 2012
    Michigan
    I was plugged into a surge protecter. I share one with one of the guitar players and he had no problem. I've never had fuzz coming out of my rig. It was only heard through the FOH.

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    In my experience, radio pickup is often caused by a dodgy ground connection somewhere in the signal chain, possibly including a broken solder joint at the input jack of the amp.

9. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    In my case, it depends on the instrument. I just got back from playing at a venue that has a radio station right next door. Last time I played there, I picked up the station loud and clear through my active Dean Edge 5. The owner, who claims to know everything about sound but is actually clueless, blamed the shielding on my amp (GK MB2500). I didn't agree. Since my house is only 7 minutes away, I ran home and grabbed an active Ibanez EDA905 and a passive Dean Edge 5. I tried the Ibby first, and it was fine. Tonight I took the passive Dean and a passive custom Stoneman; neither gave me any problems. I was even able to use my wireless, which I had initially believed was the culprit at my previous gig.

10. crustypunk

crustypunk

Oct 12, 2012
    my old ungrounded kustom did it every so often ( mostly ham radio and hot cb chatter from truckers if we were close to an interstate) an old sound guy grabbed a roll of renolds aluminum foil wrapped it around the head once and plogged me in through the foil no issues after that. I know it it not a perma fix but will get you through the gig.

11. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Well, that's different. I would bet that there's some issue with the cabling & ground path for the board & guitar/bass amps.

12. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    For Heman and Lily!

13. PhilBoBaggins

PhilBoBaggins

Mar 12, 2013
    I had this happen to me too. Except it wasn't a radio station.. it was some preaching station, and there was static but you could still make out the words.. and i was alone.. in my practice room.. pitch black outside. Essentially a perfect time for me have go perform an exorcism on my amp