Picking up the bass again. Good new basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lil'rusty, Jul 5, 2005.

1. lil'rusty

Jul 5, 2005
    Hi folks.

I've started to get back into playing bass again after quite a few years 'off' - hence my username. Used to be in college/school bands and some after University, but life got in the way... :(

Anyway, I still have my original Aria Pro II XRB Series bass (circa 1990) and have stored/looked after it as best as I could.

I feel comfortable getting back into the swing of playing again - but am curious about maybe getting a new bass - possibly a 5 string. I'm not blessed with the world's longest fingers (one reason why I loved the Aria - the neck was a good 'fit') so I wonder what has the best neck out of Schecters or Spectors (either 4 or 5 string) or any other recommendations in the £300/$600 range. Or - should I stick with the Aria - I should point out that some warping has occurred in the neck despite careful storage) - and get a guitar tech to look it over.

Some words of wisdom would be appreciated :)
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't see anything wrong with getting back into shape with the bass you already have. For a new five string, I recommend either a G&L Tribute of a Music Man SUB 5.
  3. lil'rusty

Jul 5, 2005
    Thanks Dr. Cheese. Maybe I should ask on another thread, but how costly/difficult is iot to 'de-warp' a neck and on a bass like the Aria is it worth it?
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Is it a bolt-n or neck through Aria? If it is a bolt-on you can just get a new neck. Second thought, go get a new bass now!
  5. lil'rusty

Jul 5, 2005
    It's a bolt on. Point taken. ;)
  6. hey lil' rusty. I find that warwick 5ers have good necks, so do Ibanez's for that matter. But dont let me sway you, go out there dude! Play every bass in every store! Sooner or later one will take your heart (and eventually your cash) and you'll be well on your way!
  7. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    how 'bout a jazz style bass? nice, thin necks for those of us with smallish pinkies. may i suggest an SX jazz bass copy just to try out the style of neck? i know they're not the same as a fender neck, but worth an inspection non-the-less. :)
  8. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Don't worry about the size of your hand or pinky. I have small hands and a very small pinky. I play a 6 string Roscoe with a 35" scale and handle that babe without a problem. Just go with what feels good and sounds good.

BTW: Welcome back to bassdome. I too had a 14 year hiatus between 1987-2001. I'm back and much better (and more mature) than I was then.
  9. fyrmedic

Jan 24, 2005
    I've been playing for many many moons, and I have been very impressed with the basses that Dean makes. I own three of them, two fives and a four, and they play like an instrument that costs twice as much. You can get into a 4 for about $299, and a 5 for about $399. Of course, I have a thing for the quilts, so I ended up paying a little more for mine.

Another reason I like their basses is the shape of the body. They have a distinctive look, without being over the top different like some of their guitars. I never was a big fan of their "winged" style headstock, and the headstocks on the Edges are very traditional in comparison. The bodies are a bit more rounded than most, with long narrow horns. Overall, I just think they're a sexy looking bass.

Bottom line, though, go out and play some of everything. Whatever feels good, that's your match.

Practice makes permanent. Only perfect pratice makes perfect.
  10. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Check out the Lakland Skyline models.
  11. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    if you're going to get a 5 string, you might as well get a 6 string. That's exactly what my instructor said to me, so I'm gonna get a 6 string. I'm only 14 so my fingers are still really short, but I fell that I can handle it.

Also, what kind of sound are you looking for? If you want bright and punchy, go with the spector (a legend 5 or 6 would do it), but if you want a more dark sounding bass, get a warwick or an ibanez.

If passive, you could go with a 5 string fender (yes, it's amazing that fender can count up to 5!)

There are alot more 5 strings out there to try out than 6 strings, but you can do SO much more with a 6 string, so I think you should consider it...

12. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004

Lovely Basses. :hyper: