Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Picking while standing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by kanti, Mar 8, 2004.

1. kanti

kanti Guest

Feb 22, 2004
    Eugene, Oregon
    I just have a quick question: what is the proper way to pic bass while standing? I have just started experimenting with a pic and while standing I can't get a good sound because the pic hits the string at an angle, making too much of a scratching sound. Do you have to play with your bass up high like a guitar, or is there a different technique from sitting that allows good tone while standing?

2. I don't think you have to play low or high to get good results with picking; it just depends on what is comfortable for you. Don't discount the scratching sound you're currently getting; it's things like that that can add color and uniqueness to your sound. If it's totally undesirable for you, you could always cut back the tone.

3. How do you hold your pick? I have the Eddie VanHalen 2 fingers and a thumb grip. I sling the thing relatively low, not Dee Dee low, but not chin dwellin' either. The other thing is make sure your pick isn't worn down. Use a fresh pick, and if noise is the concern, try a nylon pick.

Good Luck!

4. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I prefer to pick at an angle. It gives a nice sound rather than really straight picking. Sounds great for doublepicking.

Find what's comfortable and run with it.

5. I wear my bass where my hands naturally hang...that way, when I pick, I just use a straight up and down motion...makes it a little easier to double-pick, at least for me...

6. Most bassists who pick sling their basses low - as in the body of the bass is located below your waist.

Actually in most cases how you sling your bass indicates what type of music you play:

up high : bass body covers chest, stomach area = R&B/funk

down low : bass body covers crotch, hips area = rock/punk/metal

somewhere in between: jazz

7. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I keep my bass super-low, and I play with my fingers, pick, and some slap/pop. Like Gogmagog said, that scratchy noise can be good. Eliminating some of the tone does help, and I do that when scratching makes the song sound bad. :)