Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

picking

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MojoNixon, Apr 3, 2001.

1. MojoNixon

MojoNixon

Apr 3, 2001
    I need help picking, ive used my fingers a lot, now o want to try picking, but i have a weak up stroke, if thats what u call it, when i do it, i either miss the string or get a funky (in a bad way) twang sound, what should i do?

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    There is not much I can tell but, practice.
    You can try playing 8th note, always the same, slowly, and really work on the sound. And be sure to alternate down and up stroke. When you can do that with a good sound, you can try to play song you already know, scale ect...

3. Or, if you're absolutely sure you won't be able to get it and desperately need fast picking...
    you could try all downstrokes. One guy in my school can get up to 32nd notes...umm...not sure how many bps, but man...his right hand is just a blur at the bridge. Looks almost like he's...uuuuh...yeah. That's something for Off-Topic. :p

4. :eek:

5. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    TRy resting your wrist on the bass and using the wrist instead of the arm.

6. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Arizona
    Yep. Using your wrist is a lot easier and is what most people do who use picks. Rest it on the bass move back and forth. Pretty easy after just a couple times.