1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Picking?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Cubeface, May 15, 2006.

1. Cubeface

Cubeface

Apr 9, 2006
    Hello,
    I mainly use the basic fingering technique and have been learning some slap for a couple of weeks now (it’s going well), but now that I think of it, I have no idea on how to use a pick. (Even though when I rented my bass, the guy at the store threw in a few picks). So here’s my question: How do you use the picking technique, and while I’m on the topic, how do I hold a pick properly?

Thanks,
    Cubeface

2. it all depends on what you feel comfortable with, but try starting with your thumb and index finger.

3. JimmyM will suggest Carol Kaye(look her up, she has a lot of good stuff to say about learning how to pick properly and without pain)

A small piece of advice I like to give and enjoy - watch some of the masters play with one, like this guy:

4. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I am self taught got a few pointers from miss Kaye tried heavier picks as she said but, I didn't like 'em.

Anyways I use a weird method all downstrokes and I "choke" on the pick.
    I use my index, middle, and thumb to tightly grip the pick and hit the strings hard.

As far as technique goes as I'm self taught I really have none. I am not proud of it but, in my line of music technique isn't really a priority I'm a punk bassist afterall.

5. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    started using the clayton 1.0 mm triangle pick recently, and i have been picking more cleanly and frequently as a result

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    This should help

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Here's some good pick playing by carol Kaye