1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

picking

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by pyrosquee, Oct 12, 2002.

1. pyrosquee

pyrosquee

Apr 24, 2002
    Hi. I've been playing bass for a couple months now and i'm also left handed. i got a new left handed bass, but now there is still one problem. I won't to pluck but i just can't stop picking. you see, i play fast songs but when i pluck i just cant seem to go as fast pace as i should be. anyone have any suggestions or tips to get me to pluck faster? thanx for any help anyone can give me.

PyRo

2. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    Buy a metronome and practice. Make some finger exercises for yourself, just going through scales or something. Start slow and work up to it.

3. practice. (and get a teacher if possible or atleast a book with exercises)

seriously, if you don't practice you won't get any better.

start slowly and work your way up speedwise.

Also use atleast two fingers! (using a single finger is generally slower)

4. pyrosquee

pyrosquee

Apr 24, 2002
    thanx for the help guys. i'll try both

5. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    If you're a beginner and playing fast songs I advice you to play with 3 fingers (1st, 2nd and 3rd finger) I just recently applied to that technique and it has been very good for me playing in fast songs, the only thing is that I have good speed in my "regular" two fingers and the 3rd finger doesn't obey my brain as it should because I didn't start trying this technique sooner, I wish I had figured that out when I started playing:(

Good luck:D