Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

picking

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by pyrosquee, Oct 12, 2002.

1. pyrosquee

pyrosquee

Apr 24, 2002
    Hi. I've been playing bass for a couple months now and i'm also left handed. i got a new left handed bass, but now there is still one problem. I won't to pluck but i just can't stop picking. you see, i play fast songs but when i pluck i just cant seem to go as fast pace as i should be. anyone have any suggestions or tips to get me to pluck faster? thanx for any help anyone can give me.

PyRo

2. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    Buy a metronome and practice. Make some finger exercises for yourself, just going through scales or something. Start slow and work up to it.

3. practice. (and get a teacher if possible or atleast a book with exercises)

seriously, if you don't practice you won't get any better.

start slowly and work your way up speedwise.

Also use atleast two fingers! (using a single finger is generally slower)

4. pyrosquee

pyrosquee

Apr 24, 2002
    thanx for the help guys. i'll try both

5. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    If you're a beginner and playing fast songs I advice you to play with 3 fingers (1st, 2nd and 3rd finger) I just recently applied to that technique and it has been very good for me playing in fast songs, the only thing is that I have good speed in my "regular" two fingers and the 3rd finger doesn't obey my brain as it should because I didn't start trying this technique sooner, I wish I had figured that out when I started playing:(

Good luck:D