1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Picking?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bostich36, Mar 14, 2013.

1. bostich36

bostich36

Feb 13, 2013
    Hello all I'm new to playing bass (only a few months) I want to start playing more punk rock but I'm having a really difficult time using a pick? Does anyone having any picking techniques or suggestions they'd like to share?

-Thanks

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
  3. bostich36

bostich36

Feb 13, 2013
    Thanks! Both links are really helpful!

4. Schmorgy

Schmorgy

Jul 2, 2012
    Canada
    The pick you use can also help. I find guitar picks are a little too flimsy to hold well when used against thicker bass strings. I prefer the "Dorito" style picks that are closer to a perfect triangle with curved edges.

They look like this: [​IMG]

All the pick brands should have the same shape.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    After only a few months you shouldn't be expected to be good at any aspect of playing bass. Picking takes practice.

I use these:

61P6a6ExreL._SY300_.

6. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    LOL .... Dorito....great way to describe this pick shape and size, no going to be my term of choice.:D

7. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Same pick I use. Been playing for 40 years just started picking 2 years ago and now I rarely play pop covers with fingers. Motown and fusion still get the fingers. Take your time and practice slow with all combinations of up/down strokes.

8. Schmorgy

Schmorgy

Jul 2, 2012
    Canada
    Also, to get that punk rock "chug", instead of hitting the strings perfectly perpendicular like on a guitar, try striking them on a bit of an angle so that the pick kind of grinds against the winding. You'll go through more picks like this but it softens the attack and, Imo, gives you THE punk sound.