Pick'n 'N Slap'n

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by CROZ, Sep 10, 2000.

1. Anyone else out there able to use a pick and switch seamlessly into slap mode? I haven't seen anyone use this technique.
  2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    You could always just drop your pick and then pick up a new one when you want to go back to using a pick. Another technique is holding the pick with your thumb and index finger and popping with your middle or ring finder. Its not the same as slapping, but you can get interesting sounds and rhythms.

The guitar player in my old band took his pick and held it between his pinky and ring finger or ring and middle finger for sections where he tapped. You could try doing this for sections where you switch to slapping.
  3. I think you misunderstood my question: I use this technique, I was just asking if anyone else does it. When I switch to slap mode I just curl up my first finger with the pick inside it. That frees me up to use my thumb to slap and my middle finger to pop. When I go back into pick mode I just uncurl my first finger and then pinch it with my thumb. Then I'm good to go. I do this really fast; like a lizard getting a fly with his tongue.<p>
    As far as "drop your pick" that defeats the purpose. Should I just drop it on the ground? Where would I get a new pick from? Up my sleeve? Should I tape a thousand picks on a mic stand? I would go through 50 bucks in picks a night if I did that. And I only use expensive celluloid picks, too.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    As far as I know guitarist Michael Lee Firkins developed a similar trick/technique...never felt the need to delve into it myself, though - but you never know...