picks... mmm...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MarkyMark, Jan 26, 2006.

1. MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    I am just starting to use picks. I have yet to actually get a bass pick though :crying:

I've been using my brother's guitar picks and they are a wee bit too small (I keep rubbing my pointer finger against the strings and it kinda hurts after a while). I was wondering what size you would say for rock style music. I was thinking a 1.5 rounded triangle but my brother says a 3mm rounded triangle would be better...

what do you all think?

I'm sure this has been asked before and for that I'm sorry about bringing it up again.
  2. MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    if you want to know a more specific type of music, think: Alice in Chains - Would

That intro? Yeah, that's what I would be playing.
  3. Jeepers 3mm is rediculous, anything over 1mm would be IMO. I use Tortex .65 for bass and acoustic, I would never consider anything else. Also, you must be doing something wrong if your finger is rubbing, unless it's a jazz pick maybe? There's no such thing as seperate picks for bass or guitar for the most part, most people find one they are comfortable with and stick with it. Most are the same size either way.
  4. MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    well, I meant "guitar" because of the size. It's a smaller pick, I assume "bass" picks are slightly larger. I guess I'll get a few thicknesses to try. I was using a .75 and that seemed barely too light. So maybe a 1mm and a 1.5mm.

the reason my finger was rubbing is because I am probably doing something wrong, I just started using it tonight:D
    I'm holding the pick like a guitar shredder would.
    I guess I should research on how to hold it correctly :bassist:
  5. Picking a bass is exactly the same as picking a guitar. The only difference is that you may want to let the flat part of the pick hit the string on your bass, rather than slanting it, for tonal reasons. I use the same picks on bass and guitar. The main thing I look for in a pick is stiffness. The thickness isn't so important as long as my pick isn't flexing out of the way when I try to play fast. I usually use 2mm picks since they're not so thick, but they're plenty stiff.
  6. wow all of you use really thick pics, i use a .45 for bass and a .38 for guitar.

7. Yeah, the problem with thin picks is that with the amount of flexing they do you have to move your hand a lot to get across a string, which is a problem when you try to play quickly. And JimmyM says thin picks will destroy your wrist and make your hand fall off and be eaten by spiders. I don't know about that, since I'm to scared to even be alone in a room with a pick less than 1mm now.
  8. fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    imho id say fender mediums are the perfect balance between strength and flexibility and i play at the bridge and the neck, but not in the middle, by virtue of my pickguard covering my split coils, and they seem to give me what i need. id say its a good $.50 investment to try it out.
  9. Himself

Jan 4, 2006
    Dunlop Gator Grip 1,14 mm :bassist:
  10. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    if you're rubbing your fingers and hurting them while using a standard sized guitar pick, it's likely your technique's the problem, not the size of the pick... I use smallish picks and my fingers don't rub on the strings

pick thickness is your own personal choice but 3mm sounds excessive... I find a thicker pick (I use Dunlop Jazz III reds) gives me a more solid, punchy tone than thinner ones but after about 1mm you're into diminishing returns and manoeverability considerations :)

still, they're only cheap so the best advice is to buy a bunch of them and experiment
  11. willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    I play with a tortex .60mm (orange) or a 0.88 nylon. Both are very comfortable, and depending on where about i am playing i will keep it angled or flat. By the bridge i attack flatly but nearer the neck i sometimes angle it (i cant stand the trebly sound of playing by the bridge on the d and g)
  12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I use a 5.0mm Wedgie. I also use copper, plastic, and felt picks depending on what I'm in the mood for. Although, I haven't used felt pics since I found the Wedgies, though.
  13. bassfreak_85

Jan 31, 2006
    i cant belive you all use pics seems a wee bet girlish
  14. matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    May Chris Squire whack you with his Rick.:meh:
  15. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I've experimented with several thicknesses, materials, and shapes of picks and I've hands down found the one and only for me.

The 3.0 mm Dunlop jazz stubby (one on the right)

It almost sounds like some of you are afraid of it:smug: . Jazz picks just make more sense to me for bass than regular or equilateral shaped picks since you're only hitting one string at a time. Hell, I even use the jazz stubby on my guitar. Thicker picks give more control IMHO. If you want a more mellow tone all you have to do is lighten your grip on it. It's also easier to accent with than a flimsy pick IMO.

I guess the main reason I gravitated towards the 3.0 mm thickness is because I am a former finger player that was forced to become a picker (much happier now though) because of tendonitis.

Just my $.02
  16. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Dude, get a clue and grow up. :rollno:

18. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az

Go to a Sonic Youth show, and tell the bassist she plays like a girl. After you awaken from the coma, come back and tell us what she said before she clobbered you.

I mostly play with my fingers, BTW, but when I use a pick, it's a red Dunlop Jazz III, same as I use on guitar. Nice and thick :D
  19. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You're a genius.

EDIT: Wait--I meant you're a moron. Sorry, it's early.
  20. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'll have to check out the stubbys for my hard pick needs. I was using the 3.0mm Wedgie, but it would get floopy (yes, floopy) at the end of a 3 hour night. So, I moved up to the 5mm and it's been great.