Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Picks of Fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BOXHEAD, May 12, 2001.

1. BOXHEAD

BOXHEAD

Oct 3, 2000
    I have noticed over recent times that there are more and more pick bassists, I don't have anything against it I even occasionaly use a pick myself but I was wondering what the rest of you guys feel about this topic

2. It depends on what you want: different method for a different tone. I usually play with my fingers, but if I'm playing something by Green Day, or The Police, or something like that, I'll use a pick.

3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    When I play covers I just use pick if the original song has it. Like Ulyanov I usually play with my fingers...I also use it when my fingers are really sore..

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Bah Pick Playing.. Even doh my #1 influence Bass player, which GOT ME PLAYING bass is a pick player (Tetsu from L'Arc~en~Ciel and HE ROCKS!!!!!!! Right Angus!? :D) I still like finger playing over pick playing.. Oh god.. i hate those ppl that play PBass with a Pick.. that sound.. ugh.. kills my ears.. we need to hear some full/thick bass sound.. not some Pick going "wacka wacka wacka" with the PBass LOL :D But anyways, im just a finger player even doh i started out with pick (Obviously from my Influence).. But yes, Check out L'Arc~en~Ciel.. they are a Japanese Rock/Pop band.. Tetsu rocks!!!

Angus: OH YEAH!!! L'Arc~en~Ciel is going to release their FIRST ALBUM IN THE UNITED STATES!!!! WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!! Go Buy it when it comes out!!! 5/22/2001!!! No Import Taxes! !WOOOHOOO LOL :D

DM

5. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    I play with a pick in my punk band but otherwise I don't. I can play faster with a pick for that style of music but for funk/jazz etc I prefer a less aggressive sound so IMO fingerstyle is preferred for those styles.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

There's not a ding-dong thing "wrong" with any technique that gets the job done. When I played almost all punk in the 70's, it was THE technique for that genre.

Pick gets dissed because it doesn't facillitate speed across the strings, expecially when you have to skip over a string or two. But, if your music doesn't call for that, so what? I see pickers making good music every week.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i always dug chris squire's tone, which is pick-generated, but i can't play with a pick to save my life, so i sorta leaned how to use the side edges of my fingers, really close to the bridge, to get that plucky-clicky-quacky tone that picks can give.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've always been a big fan of Anthony Jackson's pick tone with Al DiMeola. I personally don't pick, but hey, if it gets the job done, cool.

9. rickbass

His technique is unique. At least, I can't figure it out. He says he uses the Hercos upside down and a bit of his thumb extends over the edge. When he attacks a string, his pick tip hits it first and then the tiny bit of his thumb that spills over the pick hits it a millisecond later.

Jeff Berlin had to sub for him in Yes, so I guess he knows how to replicate that sound.

10. Technically it wasn't Yes, it was Anderson, Bruford Wakeman and Howe but they were playing Yes music. I guess he was actually subbing for Tony Levin in fact. Anyway, I don't think Jeff was trying especially to sound just like Chris Squire or Tony, he seemed to have his own approach to the music and the tone he created.

11. rickbass

Rob - I don't know. The article just says, "When I was playing with Yes....If you know the song, `Roundabout,' then you'll know how the bass comes in. Well, I missed it...."

Sounds to me like he was trying to stay faithful to the original. He may have tweaked it or he may have nailed Squire's technique. It's just a ancillary comment anyway.