Picks? or Fingers? I'm talking about Bass

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by NuBassist, Dec 29, 2003.

1. NuBassist

Dec 25, 2003
    I'm still new at the bass...I heard to be a "real" bassist you should use your fingers instead of a plectrum...I was just curious what the overall opinion of that is...I am going to try to learn both, but what is the best way to start, my fingers are pretty raw, should I just stick with only fingers til i get it down, or should I trade off whenever my fingers are done for the day and use a pick?? Thanks
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    First off, this belongs in technique.

Second, learn both! :)
  3. NuBassist

Dec 25, 2003
    Damn...anyway to send this thread there??
  4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    You might use the search feature for this question. Its been asked many times. People who say "real" bassists only use their fingers are limiting their abilities. Use whatever technique you need to convey the sound you want heard. Anthony Jackson, Paul McCartney,Chris Squire, Carol Kaye and many others have all used picks with great results.
  5. NuBassist

Dec 25, 2003
    Sorry bout that guys, I realized I searched Basses, rather than technique...thanks
  6. Yeah, Learn both, both are valuable techniques. I feel I can do both equally as well. It helps me alot when playing in my rock band.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I used to be an antipick nazi.

Then I realized that on some songs, the sound of a pick is absolutely necessary.

Then I realized that the real reason that I was an antipick nazi was because I didn't know how to use one.

So, I learned to use a pick, and now use one about 15% of the time.

Moral of the story? There is no right or wrong. Learn to use both!
  8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Jeff.

Hi my name is Thor and I was an antifingernazi ...
    I was losing my job, my friends, my dog...

Hi Thor

We ran outta coffee in this meeting, it ran for so long ...

9. Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    I learned both at the same time. I think it's important to study proper alternating finger technique (as well as down / up picking). Then, you can play the same riff two ways, with fingers or a pick.

I use fingers mostly, but sometimes use a pick. Like, if I want to rock a little harder or if my fingers get tired.
  10. cwbassist

Aug 23, 2003
    I think it all depends on the tone you want, in the end you should be able to play the same riffs with either techniques, but when your playing with your fingers the sound is a little warmer, with a pick you get a little more clarity and it cuts through guitar a little better, but all you have to do is turn your amp up a little bit and fingers do basically the same thing... I personally play with my fingers, mostly because that's what's more comfortable to me:bassist: