Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rhythm, Dec 4, 2005.

1. rhythm

Dec 4, 2005

A few questions about picks:

When your playing gigs, do you throw them into the crowd? Obviously at big venues some players do, but I wondered if 'smaller' players tend to?

Does anyone have their own personalised picks made? May sound a bit of a silly question, but if so what do you have on them (ie. your name, band name, signature?)

What brand/gauge of picks do you prefer?

Lastly, I have a cheap P-bass copy, but I very rarely use a pick (if I do its usually a 2mm Dunlop Delrin). I would like to be able to, for versatility, but I'm slightly worried that when I upgrade to better instruments I will scratch them (the pickups, body etc). Am I worrying about nothing, or has anyone got any horror stories/advice about this?

2. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I can answer two of the questions...

I'm not in the band, but up in my room I've got a pick sitting in there...got it at a MXPX/Relient K concert...Its one of the big triangle picks, which one side has MXPX's logo guy thingy on it (the punk guy) and the other has Mike in cursive...

And as for you worrying about scratching the bass, I say don't worry about it...worst comes to worst, get a bass with a pickguard. :D
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Actually, that's a legit concern. I have scratched my basses with picks. Then again, I've scratched them with my fingernails when I slap, and I've dropped them, banged them accidentally into stuff, and generally made a mess of every bass I've ever owned. That's life.

No, smaller players don't usually throw picks into the crowd, though I have had people ask me for picks. I once saw KC and the Sunshine Band, and their guitarist threw picks into the crowd, and the crowd just let them fall to the ground. I saw one of his picks on the ground after the show. If your name and band name are on them, it's a good way to promote, but be prepared for nobody caring.
  4. I seldom use flatpicks for bass or guitar and when I'm playing steel guitar or dobro I don't throw my finger picks into the crowd because they're mine, I went to a lot of effort to shape them exactly the way I want them and I want to keep them. I've never heard of a steel guitarist throwing picks at a crowd in any case. But then I've never seen Joe Wright, Robert Randolph or some of the other younger players, so maybe I'm just not up to date. In any case, nobody would want my picks. I'm only known locally and I have barely enough mojo for myself, much less any surplus that might rub off on a pick.

OTOH, a couple years ago I was at an Asleep at the Wheel concert with tickets 0001 and 0002. Ray Benson threw his pick into the crowd at the end and I caught it. I framed the pick, tickets and program. It hangs in my music room.