Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup angle question.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Razor, May 6, 2003.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I'm wondering just how much the height and angle of pickups weigh in with the sound. I know it's important to have the height correct but I have a P-Bass with the Seymour-Duncan Qtr-Pounder split coil and the height is pretty good but even though the pickup is really "hot" and strong I am still not getting the pronounced high notes I need. I have tweaked my eq all different directions and still no change. It is evident when I am playing loud rock stuff and want to do some octave playing with the D and G strings. The low's are great...E and A strings sing but I can barely hear the high notes in between. I am wondering if the angle of the split coils would correct this.

*SMASH where are you on this my friend?

FWIW when I say angled I am talking about each pickup in a split coil being turned ridiculously towards the E and A strings and the other being turned opposite towards the D and G strings. I say that because I sometimes don't explain myself very well and wanted to give you all an idea of what the heck I am talking about.

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Yes. Raise the pickup on the D and G string side to balance the sound. If you look at other basses that are correctly set up you'll see that the pickups are always closer to the high strings than to the low strings.

Alex

3. fender give settings for the P bass when fretting at the last fret towards the bridge...21?
    its 6/64 from the bottom of the string to the top of the polepieces D+G and
    8/64 similarly for the E+A
    thats the beauty of the split coil you can get all the strings set properly
    dont go any closer as fender suggests magnetic string drag can result...
    got mine set like this but the D+G are definately not in the same league as the A+E unless you go for lighter gauges and use a technique to compensate for this...
    its a P thang:)