Pickup blend on a Peavey Cirrus BXP?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Parsley, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Parsley

Jun 8, 2005
    Dear all,

I've just bought a Peavey Cirrus BXP 5 string. In lots of ways it's great, but ... can anyone comment on pickup blending? Hopefully on a Cirrus BXP, but in general would be useful too.

I've actually tried two - a 4 and a 5 - and for both, the blend pot seems to give:

all pickup 1 at anywhere left of centre click
    50:50 blend at centre click
    all pickup 2 at anywhere right of centre click

I do like the sound of both pickups, and the 50:50 blend, but... I'd like to be able to get other blends.

I've checked the circuit with a meter, and found that at the centre click, both pickups go through with zero resistance. At anywhere left of the click, pickup 1 has zero resistance and pickup 2 has between 12K and 50K resistance. At anywhere right, pickup 2 has zero resistance and pickup 1 has between 12K and 50K resistance.

I'd have expected that either pickup only has zero resistance in series at the end of the travel, rather than for half of it?

Is this right? Is the difference from panning once your away from the centre just really, really subtle? Have Peavey goofed?

Thanks very much!

ps apologies if this should be in 'pickups', or somewhere else :ninja:
  2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine

I'll have to check it out, but the VFL pickups are active, like EMG's, and EMG's typically need 25K pots. 25K blend pots are available, but a bit harder to find, and maybe somewhat more expensive for mass manufacture overseas (dunno). If so, they may have just used the whatever on the BXP (tho to be honest, 50K's are also somewhat less common... most common is 250 and 500).

Anyway, if they're not decent taper pots, then that could also be part of the problem. I can look at my Cirii at home and also a BXP at a local shop and compare notes.
  3. Parsley

Jun 8, 2005
    Thanks. That'll de-stress my next trip to the shop :)
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nope, 'cause the center position--50/50--is supposed to be both pickups up all the way. When you pan away from that middle setting, you're subtracting one pickup from the mix, not adding the other.

As for whether that blend pot has the best choice of resistance/taper for those particular pickups, I couldn't say, but it seems as if it should be a little more gradual as you move away from the center click, not jump straight to 12K...

5. Parsley

Jun 8, 2005
    Thanks, that's good to know. It looks like I need a pot which doesn't jump so quickly in resistance away from the centre detent, but that the circuit design is ok.

I'd be interested to find out what other Cirrus BXP users have experienced.
  6. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Well if you really want those subtleties, you can always raise or lower pickups to your liking.

Since it's damned near impossible to keep a knob in the same place, I've opted to just leave it centerered, and lower the pickup I want dropped out a bit.

Not exactly dynamic, but gets the job done.
  7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    That works if you use the same tone all night, or rarely change your settings (as I believe you mean by "not exactly dynamic"), but since I mostly play in a cover band, I can't do that. I NEED the blend knob, and change the setting FREQUENTLY as I somewhat attempt to mimic the original bass players general tone as much as realistically possible. In fact, on most J basses I've owned, I IMMEDIATELY dump the VVT and switch to PVT. VVT is way more adjustable, but too much of a PIA to deal with outside the studio, which is where I am most of the time.