Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup blend on P for volume?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tallguybcs, Jul 14, 2001.

1. I notice that on passive basses, the volume is either full or not even close. There is no inbetween. If I put a pickup blend on my P, and have one input for the P pup and the 2nd with no input, would that make the volume decrease smoother? Would it work at all?

2. :confused: I have owned many passive basses and never noticed such a problem. Could it be that your volume pot. is defective, or needs some cleaning?

3. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001
    TallGuy:
    I don't understand your question. Are you having problems with the "taper" of your volume pot, that is, the volume doesn't vary smoothly from completely off to full on??? Also, blend pots are for basses with two pickups, and a P bass just has one pickup. How can you consider a blen pot for a P?
    Maybe if you rephrase the question I can help...

Randy

4. I have heard that on passive basses, turning the volume knob to 5 wont necesarilly give you 50% volume, and I have found this to be true. The volume dies rather quickly, I dont know if its just my ears, or if its true

About the question, yes, I know a P pup only have 1 pup, but thats the point, so it'll blend with nothing, in my reasoning, itll make the volume decrease much smoother, am I crazy?

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    At least you're wrong. The volume changes because the resistance of the volume pot changes when you turn it. The number of pickups per se has nothing to do with it.

6. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001
    TallGuy:
    OK, I think you're talking about the "taper" of the volume pot. The taper is the way the resistance varies when you turn the pot. Most volume pots are audio taper. This means that they vary non-linearly to approximate the response of the human ear to changes in volume.

I think I know exactly what you're talking about. When you turn the volume knob from full off to full on, does it come on real strong at the end? And then when you turn it down, it falls off real fast? This is typical of audio taper pots. I don't like this either, and what I do is use a linear taper pot. This is kind of uncommon, but I like it better. To me it seems much smoother. The tradeoff is that it comes up to full volume a little too fast, but it's what I prefer. I recommend you try one

Regards,
    Randy

7. Thanks, thats more of what Im looking for. Yes, the sound drops off too fast. My idea with the blend knob had not a lot of logic behind it, it just made sense to me.

Thank you very much