Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup Blend Problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LeonD, Jan 30, 2006.

1. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I have a Peavey Palaedium bass (passive, dual pickup) where the original owner wired it vol - vol - tone. I want wire it back to the original specs of vol - bal - tone.

I ordered the correct pots from Stew Mac and got a wiring diagram from Peavey.

Everything went fine until I plugged it in. The pickups worked fine in the solo positions but when I tried to blend them, instead of getting both pickups, I got neither. Complete silence.

Because I'm new to this, I figured I may have screwed something up so I took it all apart and started over. And I got the same result. No sound it the middle position.

Stew Mac thought that I may have a bad balance pot so they're going to send me another one.

But while I wait, does anyone have any suggestions to what I can check to see if I may have missed something?

Thanks,
    LeonD

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Hi Leon,
    I'd start by making sure that you have the orientation of the pot correct with the wiring diagram. The shaft side facing the right way. etc. I have seen diagrams shown from the top, bottom, and the terminal side. Also make sure that your crossover connections are correct, if the diagram uses them.

Here is a non stewmac diagram:
    http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUSS2102

Hope that helps,
    Pete

3. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Thanks Pete,

I tried using that diagram first but it put me further away from tone than the original from Peavey.

What I did do was swap the wires on the four corners. When I did that, it worked correctly except the control is now backwards. But I can live that for now.

So maybe it is a bad pot. I'll try the new one again.

Thanks again,
    LeonD