Pickup box?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I came up with this idea at work tonight and I wondered if it would accomplish anything (besides causing the person making it a huge headache):

1) Take a Squier P-Bass or MIM Fender (poplar) and fashion a small box made of a more "desirable" wood, making the sides and bottom about 1/4" wide. 2) Route out the pickup cavity, so it just accepts the box with a little bit of "pursuasion" (a little hammer action). 3) Glue the box inside the cavity. Maybe screw 2 or 4 small woodscrews through the bottom of the box and into the bass. 4) Install your pickups inside the box, which is now fixed solidly inside the bass.

Here's what I'm thinking: You would still have a body made of poplar, but the pickups would be surrounded on the bottom and all 4 sides by something a little more "tonally sound." I attached a picture of my box idea. My scanner took a poo on me a few days ago, otherwise I would have drawn out the bass, pickups and attaching screws. Would this accomplish anything, or would the tonal difference not be worth the huge amount of effort?

2. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i don't think it would make much of a difference, but there is only one way to find out.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The places where the neck and bridge attach have much more to do with resonance than where the pickup is screwed in.