Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickup cavity routing question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tommy Gunz, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Hi. I have a rookie question here.
    How do you guys route out cavity with prependicular (or very small radius) corners? I have the jig of the pickup cavity already made, but my top bearing router bit has 3/8" diameter, which I think is the smallest as they come for a top bearing bit, and I can't do a tight corner routing with it. I do have a 1/8" Dremel router bit, but then I'll have to do it freehand instead of just following the jig, which add to the chances of screwing it up. So any advice on other ways of doing it? Thanks.

2. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    you generally have to use a template guide with an over size template. Example 1/4" od guide using a 1/8" router bit. You would have to make your template 1/8" over size for the template guide to router bit offset...

Hope this helps!
    D

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The Dremel will be miserable. I do it as Darrin suggests, but i use a 1/4" bit and a 1/2" guide.

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Hehe,

this is also part of why I use my own pickups with radius corners mathcing the 3/8" router bit ;)

Seriously, Darrin's advice is the wy to go.

Peace, JP

5. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    I would suggest using the biggest bit you can to hogout the mass of the material to be removed. Then use the size bit required to achive the radius needed.

Good luck!
    Darrin

6. Thanks for the advice Darrin.
    I routed the cavities yesterday and they turn out pretty good.

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    You could also pre-drill the corners with the bit radius you want. Then you can use a reasonably thick bit for routing, which improves the result.
    E.g. a 3mm drill bit (corner radius will be 1.5mm=1/16) and a 6mm (1/4) router bit. And some handdressing for perfection ;)