1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pickup change for 5 string usa fender jazz passive , drop in humbucker, NJ5FS or AG 5J-HC ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by garagebassman, Feb 3, 2018.

1. The hum (from the stock single coils when volume knobs aren't exactly the same level) needs to go
    The more I go through sound systems, the more noticeable it is

I like the sound of this bass, but have never felt that the pickups were "fender's finest"

The output is noticeably lower than several other stock passive fender basses (both p/j's and jb's) that I own

I'd like to keep the sound as close to what it is currently , although more output would be appreciated

options seem to be limited for humbucking j pu's ; nordstrand ?, there were "fender noiseless", but just looking on fenders site, they don't come up in 5 string config ?

open to suggestions, but don't want to reinvent the wheel necessarily

need it to be quiet(er) (ie no hum), trying to maintain the character it has now

a side question, what is difference between 60s and 70s winding options soundwise ?

thanks

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    BassJuju likes this.
  3. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Just get some Sadowsky humbuckers if you like that sound....Seymour Duncan made?
    Or Dimarzio as they are humbucking also

4. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Just an FYI...Dimarzio doesn’t make Fender size 5-String Jazz Bass pickups. Also, I think Sadowsky pickups are the same size as Dimarzio.

5. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Fralin probably makes fender sized J pups

6. Thanks Slater, I did stumble on those last night and fwiw the demo is well done for comparison
    I know the sound will be different with the hum cancelling design, but I'm still trying to figure out if I like the 60s or 70s jbass tone (leaning towards 60s) again fwiw

I've only had experience with lindy fralin pickups in jbasses, and love the sound but apparently they don't make a hum cancelling set yet (there's probably a reason, like they can't get the "right" sound )

7. I did email fralin for info to be sure, but they don't seem to offer anything hum cancelling for bass currently

8. I should specify I'm only looking for a direct fit option for this bass fender usa jazz 5 string passive (early 2000's)

9. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I apologize...I did not realize sadowsky or Dimarzio were not Standard Fender size

Well...Seymour Duncan definately does.....but you will never have that true single coil sound once you put in split coils or stacks....some people are happy with that....and Sadowsky users are usually happy

Not me.....I have to have the raw sound of singles

10. This is what I may find out about my own personal preferences
    The single coils are maybe what I love about the j's , but in some situations the hum is bothersome
    I know I like the fralins in the 4 string, but still has the hum

Funny the hum never bothered me when I kept the volumes exactly balanced (or at full) I used to like only the sound of the two pickups "in series"
    But the more I like to experiment and blend the two pickups, the more present the hum

murphy likes this.
  11. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    In parallel....
    Some pickups tend to be a bit more noise
    some locations produce more noise

But...I have always loved Fralins in my jazz 5vers
    Tried Nordies...did not like them
    love the Fender that come in the AM Standard 5ver

But my new love is the Xotic pickups I just bought from @Jaze Bass

12. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    My experience has been that when I replaced noisy singles with proper Duncan singles (which are shielded with copper foil under the magnets, have a ground wire and such), they were much, much quieter. The originals made noise no matter what. The SD’s only make noise in extreme situations....so far that I have noticed, only when the carafe heater in my coffee maker is on...

I would suggest the Duncan 67/70 jazz pickups for a 60’s jazz tone. These have a gloriously vintage bark to them.

Zoobiedood, MoeTown1986 and murphy like this.
  13. Yes when the volumes are exactly the same, it's the only time the hum is eliminated
    This particular fender am standard 5's pickups have significantly less volume output that any of my other passive stock basses , particularly less than the 4 string jazz with fralins !

Do you have hum issues with the single coils you use ?

14. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    It’s too bad Fralin doesn’t make hum-canceling Jazz 5 pickups. I’ve never heard a Fralin pickup I didn’t like.

murphy likes this.
  15. The Duncan 67/70 sounds like it might be great, but they may have more shielding than these original fenders, they are still single coils
    I'm thinking that if I'm going to bother buying and changing these , I'd better go with true humbuckers to be certain the maximum quiet will be achieved.....it's really a question of how much tone I'll need to compromise to get the quiet operation while being able to blend the two pickups

Zoobiedood and murphy like this.
  16. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    No...It's never been a problem to me.....I would check through the grounding in your bass
    Perhaps it is a case of the particular pickups you got were a lemon
    Of course there will be some single coil buzz...but not overpowering generally.....except with cheap/crappy pickups
    Did you buy the bass new at the time?

17. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I would agree with eastcoast and go that route....but look under the hood first and make sure you have all you can to help the issue

18. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    This is as close as you can get to a single coil sound in a humbucking jazz bass pickup:

NJ5FS Hum-Cancelling Fender

I have had them in basses before and they are definitely good!

Marley's Ghost likes this.
  19. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I have the Aggie HCs in my VF5 and they are amazing. I debate on putting them in my American Elite J almost weekly for the reasons you describe. Still haven’t pulled the trigger, but if I do, these will be the pups.