Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup change for Warwick

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Saetia, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Alright I need your guys' opinion on what pickups I should put in my Warwick Corvette Standard. I like the Mec's that are in there but im looking for a pickup that has extra in everyway, warmer, brighter, just better articulated. Ive only had expieriance with the Mec's in my warwicks and the standard pickups in a Standard Fender Jazz. Ive also played my friends Washburn that had Barts in it and i really like the sound of thouse, but I would appreciate any input you guys could add, how do you think the Warwick would sound with barts?
    thanks
    peace
    Ben

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Sounds to me like you are describing a different bass . . .

3. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Seymore Duncan Basslines. I also have a Corvette Standard and am looking for the deep bottom end that the MEC's lack. I've asked around and, unanimously, I've heard that the Basslines are the way to go. They're supposed to be better in just about every way...except for cost. They run anywhere between $55 and $75 each. You go first and tell me what they're like, OK? :D

4. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    i have bartolinis in my thumb 6 string and find em great. better sound,

5. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Hmmm I wish I could play some in like the warwick befor i had to buy you know, but since warwicks come standard with MEC's its kinda hard you know,,,, what do you think about a combination of a bart and a bassline? or a Bassline and a Mec, cause the barts ive played on other bass' seem to lack the high end.,,, any thoughts??

6. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Alright I've narrowed it down to the bassline Hot Stack J-bass and the Quarter Pounder for J-Bass, just looking for the thickest bottom end, with nice mids and nice highs, I'm thinking the Hot Rod would do the trick, what do you guys say??? or how about like a Hot Rod at the Bridge with a Bart at the neck??? I want the Combination of punchy lows with mids and highs, which I think Combinding the Hot Rod and the Barts together would provide, just not sure where i should put each, any suggestions there????

7. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I would go with a set of EMGs. I know this doesn't answer you question, but IMO they have the capability of being bright or warm with added punch. Sounds kind of what your looking for.

8. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    With thouse does it, as i notice some pups loose the sound of the bass, i like the warwick sound i just need the enhanced low end punch and the growly mid and shimmering highs with that warwick sound,

9. If you order a Warwick with Basslines PU's. Does anyone know which model they put in the bass. I've got a Warwick Streamer LX w/MECs and I'm looking for a more rock sound that my Warwick Corvette (also w/MECs, strangely). The LX sounds too soft.

10. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    I have a corvette std 5 and I'm keeping MECs (passive version).

Did you try other string brands/models? It can make dramatic differences.

Be careful with that 'I tried my friend's bass I liked it...'. Don't forget that after you change pickups you always realize you lost something in your bass that YOU LIKED but DIDN'T KNOW!

At least for me... (I'm in the 4th pair of pickups on my jazz bass and finally realized you can't have any sound you want from one only bass!)

Good luck!