1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup change from Aero to Nordstrand

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jaycephas, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Jaycephas

Jaycephas Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Waxhaw, NC
    Hey folks, I just picked up some Nordstrand NJ5 pickups to put into my Lakland Skyline DJ5 that currently has Aero Type 1 pickups (2004 vintage MIK bass). I have an Audere JZ3 Pro 4-band pre in the bass that sounds killer.

I am so resisting the urge to install the Nordstrand pickups as I love the tone I am getting. However, I am wondering what I may be missing, especially since the pickups are in hand? I have read review after review on both pickups, so I guess I am looking to see who has this combination (NJ5, Audere) in a DJ5, and/or has also had the Aeros in the bass with the Audere.

I may just do it to see, but I was hoping to save some install time if I will end up preferring the Aeros.

Thoughts?

2. You could put plug-in connectors on the wires so you could change pickups easily. I guess the bigger question is if you love the tone that you are getting why do you want to change the hardware? The TB disease exhibited here is that if my bass sounds awesome now it will sound even more awesome if I put in X pickups and/or electronics. Chances are it will sound different but not necessarily better. I would save the Nordstrand pickups for a bass that sounds crappy.

Rick B.

MobileHolmes and GregC like this.
  3. Jaycephas

Feb 3, 2003
    Waxhaw, NC
    Rick, thanks for the reply. I'm leaving the Aeros in the bass. I love it like it is. I may swap out the Nords for NJ4 as I have a build that needs pickups.

4. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    Yeah, I wouldn't. Aeros are awesome.

5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Nordstrand was using the Audere with the NJ's up until they made their own preamp. It should work well with the Nordy's. I put the NJ5's in my American Deluxe J5. I freakin LOVE them! But I also put in a Nordy two band preamp. Sounds good passive or active.

Jaycephas likes this.
  6. Jaycephas

Feb 3, 2003
    Waxhaw, NC
    Okay, so this is my first resuscitated post, but since I finally swapped out the Aeros for the Nordy NJ5s, I thought I would share my thoughts. To be honest, I wish I had done this a long time ago. I love the Aeros, but they are more low-mid focused and overall darker to my hearing. The NJ5s are some of the most even pickups I've owned. They are brighter and seem to have more 'oomph' to my hearing. And they sound excellent with the Audere pre.

Glad I finally did it. My old DJ5 has a brand new trick!

bmac314 and NewGuy like this.