1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pickup change

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by den-nish, Oct 18, 2013.

1. den-nish

den-nish

May 28, 2008
    hey guys...I got a peavey patriot and I want to change the pickup...I want a emg 35 dc I know I will have to do some routing. ..good idea or bad idea ...I want it sound a little fatter and I love the look of the big pickup...

2. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    Try a set of ROTO 77 flats.

I don't think EMG can touch it,

Tabdog

3. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Here's my '85 Mahogany Patriot:

[​IMG]

Since I took the pic, I've got it strung with Fender 9050CL SS Flats....this thing KILLS. It'll flat walk all over my Precision! That Super-Ferrite pickup is one of the HOTTEST pickups I've ever seen supplied by the factory on ANY bass. I have said in other threads, "it's the only bass I own that I have NO desire to seek out 'what the best upgrade pickup would be for this'"....mostly because I don't think there IS one!

I've got the same pickup on my Peavey T-20, and it's JUST as strong.

I cannot see how you will gain any performance from an EMG, unless you want to totally change the characteristic of a single-pickup bass, deliberately trying to make it sound more like a jazz, or a dual-pickup bass.

It's yours to do with what you will, but all I can do is plead with you not to permanently alter this bass.

Here's a thought...why not sell it to ME, and you can buy something that sounds better to YOU? Whattya say?

4. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    I put Fender Original 62 pickup on my
    Fury. It made a huge difference.

The Super-Ferrite pickup on my Patriot
    is another animal. I'll never change it
    until it dies,

Zhox2Hr.

Tabdog

5. den-nish

den-nish

May 28, 2008
    haha i wasnt expecting to be talked out of it...ok.. im not a bass player ..well im a guitar player and i use the bass for recording...what about adding an active eq...with bass mid treble control is that possible and just use the stock pickup

6. eldoryder

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    I have to admit I've never been "under the hood" in my Peavey Patriot, so I cannot speak to the subject of how much room there is under the pickguard for a preamp and a 9v battery. The bass certainly was not designed for active electronics, so if there is no room there, once again we're talking about cutting away at wood to gain an uncertain benefit.

Seriously, if you're not getting enough output from the Patriot to suit your recording, it's entirely possible that you may do better using another bass entirely. You can pick up a EBMM Sub34 with active electronics for S249.95 on sale at many of the larger retailers. I'm sure there are some Fender models with the same characteristics for close to the same price.

At the end of the day, even with active electronics added to this bass, you may find that you are not getting what you are needing for recording. Why not stop by a GC or somewhere, and try some active electronic basses out? Again, I would strongly advise against permanently altering a nearly 30-year-old bass for a result that is not guaranteed to give you what you want.

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    If it involves routing it's a bad idea.

8. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    IME, the super ferrites dont have as much magnetic pull, so you can get them much closer to the string than other pickups. trying different strings would also be a good option, and much cheaper than a new pickup+install. the SF pickups sound pretty fat to me. it may be the pickup position in particular that isn't getting you the sound you're after. it is a bit closer to the bridge than a standard precision. maybe trying out a peavy foundation or a fury with the SF may get you closer. tons of option to try before you start hacking away at a bass that just may not be the one for you.

9. If you like the sound of emg. And have the skills... Do it..

10. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    This.

11. eldoryder

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Or.....you could sell the Patriot to ME, and use the proceeds to buy a bass that might better suit your needs!

To those of you who think the OP should just blaze ahead and start cutting into his bass, how would you feel if the bass in question was a pre-CBS Fender?

To those of us afflicted with "Vintage Peavey Disease", that would be no greater crime than cutting into any of the earlier single Super-Ferrite Peavey basses. I'd be happy to do a "bass rescue" here, if the OP will let me.