pickup choice, help needed

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chris_AtariDoll, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    im currently putting together the design for a new custom bass...

I am wanting it to sound a lot like a stingray.... but also be a little more versatile. I had originaly decided on a MM + J config, but this is where my problems start...

The bass will have 20mm string spacing at the bridge (the same as my Stage I streamer) and i am having problems finding a MM pickup to work with this increased spacing.

I have found a jazz pup that will fit... is it possible to wire 2 jazz pups together to recreate the stingray humbucker sound?

My other option is soapbars....

I am trying to keep the pups passive.. but use a 3-band active circuit with it (also using a active/passive switch)

Any ideas.....
  2. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    if you look on the new P-Bass deluxes, the bridge pickup is basically two jazz pups wired together.
  3. I would check out Carvin and Rio Grande. Carvin makes a double coil similiar to the MM pick up, the HB 4 and Rio Grande has a model called the Powerbucker which is like 2 j pickups together.

From the Rio Grande Site:
    This monster humbucker for bass is wired four conductor so you can split the coils back to vintage single coil when needed. In the full on mode, stand back! The power of active with the natural tone of passive! Available in black.
    Rio Grande

Good Luck