1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup coil turned black?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DeadAim, Nov 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DeadAim

DeadAim

Nov 8, 2015
    Hey guys I have a dumb question here but Ive searched everywhere and couldnt find an answer (maybe its the way I'm phrasing the question?) anyways one of the coils on my stock Am Jazz Special pickups turned into a blackish color, what does this mean or why does it happen?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  2. Camaro

Camaro

Sep 25, 2013
    Germany, NRW
    Corrosion would be my guess.

3. DeadAim

DeadAim

Nov 8, 2015
    Does this affect the sound or functionality in any way?

4. You tell us.
    Does it sound different now?

I doubt it.

Camaro likes this.
  5. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    That's a pole piece, the coil is the wire winding inside the cover, it should not affect anything, clean it a bit with a q tip, just to get any rust, or corrosion off it, it probably will stay that dark color, but, it's ok, it happened because the surface of the pole oxidized a bit, it shouldn't have a measurable affect on tone, or the life of the pickup, as long as it's not rusted.

DeadAim and Camaro like this.
  6. Camaro

Camaro

Sep 25, 2013
    Germany, NRW
    The proof of the pudding is in the eating playing.

7. The pole pieces on my Warbeast had rust on them. I took a green scotch brite pad dipped in vinegar to them & after it dried I sprayed some silicone on them. They've been fine ever since.

IMG_20150628_164935126.jpg

JustForSport likes this.