Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup Config Idea

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by beam, Apr 27, 2005.

1. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    Typical jazz bass setup, but with single coil precision pickups. Positioned with the correct phase and all that.
    How do you think it would sound? Especially if you add a series option? I've never seen it doen, though that hardly means anything. I'm assuming there is an inherent flaw in there somewhere though..
    Am I right in assuming you couldn't just buy two, and install one "backwards" to make it hum canceling?

[​IMG]

2. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I'm GONNA SUE! :mad:

wait a minute...nevermind, fender might have other ideas

:scowl:

Go for it!

:D

3. I think you'll have to re-wire and re-solder the pickups so they phase out the hum. I really love the idea.

4. im not sure what you mean by single coil p pickups, the point of p's pickups (one reason they are dual coil) is to cancel hum....if you want pickups like that tele(?) bass, you could just go with two j pickups...... I would really like to see a p/j bass with the P pickup next to the bridge and a j in the mid/neck position. although you wont get the 'true' p sound out of the P pickup because it isnt in the right place, it would sound more like a ric bridge pickup...I would rather have a fatter pickup near the bridge and a thinner one in the neck position. always sounds better to me

5. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002

Single coil Precision pickups were the first kind of precision pickup.

Fender puts them in the Sting Signature bass, and the '51 Precision reissie. The point of a P is to sound like a P, not to just cancel hum ;)
    They have a lot more lowend responce than a jazz single coil, but still have the hum since they are, indeed, single coils.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yea I'll see if I can find someone who can do it :)

6. ah, i didnt know those were actually called p pickups.. anyway thats why i said one reason they are dual coil is to cancel hum, someone said they are split in the manner they are to be positioned on certain harmonic somethin or others but i dont know about that. anyway, how about a modern p in neck position and a single coil in the bridge position...

7. Major

Major

Jan 7, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    In my humble opinion, there is nothing sacred about the positions or relative positions of pickups. I've modified many basses and never found a "wrong" pickup position. Consider the fact that, as soon as a string is fretted, the position of the pickup in relation to the string's length is now completely different. My General Rule: Neck Position = Fat Sound, Bridge Position = Thin (tight?) Sound. I know that's a gross oversimplification but I offer it as a start point for discussion.
    Cheers,
    -Major :rolleyes:

8. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I wonder if a set of Delano JMVC4 FE's (see attach.) would be that far off? :eyebrow:
    Maybe a little like SD SCPB-3's ? :confused:

At least that way, if you already have a "J" bass, there'd be no need to
    route another hole near the bridge

Attached Files:

9. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002

I could do that, but there are two things that are working against me on that one.

1) I'd probably be modifying a bass that is already routed for one of these pickups in the neck, so all I'd be adding is the bridge position.

2) A split P/single coil P setup, like a P/J, would still have hum issues from the bridge pickup :(

I like that idea though, if anyone wanted to make a P/J with a fatter bridge position sound, putting a single coil precision pickup in there would do it ;)

10. If you used the bridge pickup alone it would in either pickup config, im not sure if it would with the standard p, since they are hum cancelling. one coil is reverse polarity of the other coil, so you are bound to have one coil reverse polarity of your single p pickup. i know that a humbucker used with a single coil is hum cancelling, but im not sure if this would be since it isnt in series......i was also thinkin you might be using something like a P bass body so you could just route the bridge pickup slot.

11. alright i just looked in my pickup winding guide and it says "The Precision Bass TM style pickup employs two of these bobbins wired as a humbucking pickup" and shows the two coils wired in series, so it would cancel the hum in your other single p pickup. that would work better because you can have both pickups on with no hum, or have the neck pickup alone with no hum. with two single p pickups, it would only be hum cancelling with both pickups all the way on. the way i see it, it would work better with a standard p and a single p

12. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002

I don't think that's right. :confused:
    If it was, I don't think there would be hum from a single coil jazz pickup in a typical P/J bass, and there is indeed hum. A single coil is a single coil, and unless it's paired with another single coil that is the reverse polarity, it will hum. The split precision pickup that's more common now cancels the hum in itself, not on any others.

13. haha yea i dont know.. i've never had pickups that hummed much and now i have a bartolini p/j set (both humbucking). there had to be a catch. wrap the leads with copper foil and make sure the ground wires go in opposite directions, that should get rid of most of the hum

14. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002

Yea, if I ever do this, I'm going to see if I can get the manufacturer to make the pickup especially for this. If not, I can probably get a tech to rewire and re-solder it.

15. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

will try a different approach. This bass looks like it might have bi-pole pups? Regardless, does anybody know of a maker that makes those early P/Tele type pups with bi-poles?

16. do they make bridge p pickups? i dont believe i have seen any. maybe a rick bridge pickup, they remind me of p's