Pickup configs. DIFFERENT ONES!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PollyBass, Aug 19, 2001.

1. P/P (More of them, anyway)

7 vote(s)
  2. P/HUM

4 vote(s)
  3. HUM/J

14 vote(s)
  4. J/P

13 vote(s)
  5. J/J/J

5 vote(s)
  6. Other (if so, post in thread)

21 vote(s)
  1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok, heres my problem. why are there some pickup configs and then there ones that just arnt there. i want to know why. like, why not a P at the neck and a Musicman Bridge type humbucker at the bridge? its not imposslbe is it? Im guessing there CAN be more pick up configs then are avilible. I dont think its becasue they wont match or anything. so lets see want the people want. or , maybe im stupid for wanting more pick up configs.
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I think Kurosawa did this a while back..."favorite pickups",
    or somethin' like that.

Gotta' drag out the pics from the Moscato site whenever
    somebody asks about P's & M/M's :rolleyes: --

I voted "other" -- Fishman Acoustic Matrix Natural I and II
    (fer the double R/A)
    What string pull :confused::p
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Perhaps it fills too much space, making slapping harder to do.
    Anyway, it's just the pickup housing design. The inside can be quite different. It tells you nothing about coil design and sound per se.
    A soapbar can be a P on the inside, or a J, or...
    It just boils down to the looks IME.

How about this?

Le Fay Pangton w/ Le Fay Rough Crystal humbuckers
  4. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    hey notduane... where did you get those pics? That bass looked really cool... where can i get a hold of one, are they mucho $$? Do they sound good at all?
  5. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Tweek:: :eek: Ahhh! Too much pressure! :: :p

They're "Moscato" Basses and they're made in France.
    I don't think there are any sound samples on the site,
    but there's a bunch of reviews...par-lez vooz French?

Anyhoo, here's the main site -- click

The pricelist -- click (in "Euro dollars" :( )

(a currency converter :D -- click)
  6. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden

Euro dollars?
    Would you also refer to Scandinavian currencies as "crown dollars"?

(Another blow on the "Americans, there is life outside US and Canada!" dispute)
  7. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Considerin' the current financial status of Ericssön,
    do you really wanna' know what I'd call the Krönör?
  8. Remember Pollybass, that there already is a pup config poll here, and it's pretty recent. I'm gonna allow this one cause you started to talk about basses, and it's too hard to split the thread up like that.

Rock on
  9. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    2 I say 2 MM style pups such as the G&L L 2000 and 2500
  10. Pollybass, I think thats your answer. 50% of people voted other, which I would imagine mostly consists of people who like the current pup configs, otherwise I would immagine that you would see more of the "new" ideas you posted getting more response. I don't think that it is physiclly impossible to do something like that, I just think that people like the way that those "standard" pup configs sound. THen there are those with the P and MM config, and the J/J/J config, and people may like those alot too, but if you look, everything is out there somewhere, talk to conklin and have him make you a MM/J/J/HB/P/P/HB/J/J/MM pup config, and I am sure after a fit of laughter and finding out how much wood the body is going to take, he'll probably do it, for a price :):):):D
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My current favorite is humbucker/humbucker/piezo, on a fretless of course.

I would like a J/MM bass at some point, like a Lakland, but I would want the Duncan pickups. The Barts are a little too refined - I want MM tone, not watered down MM tone.
  12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Here's one that lets you move `em around with a motor and will remember your favorite placements, the SSS -

13. I remember someone here talking once about a pickup configuration I've never seen or heard:

MM in the neck position
    J in the bridge position

I don't know how it'd sound, but it definitely seems interesting.

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Please remember people, this isnt a FAVORITE PICKUP Postion poll. its a "What other config would you like to see, or see more of?" Poll. Sorry, if i didnt say that eralyer, but i think i did. if i didnt, sorry. Hey rickbass1, that thing looks AWESOME!.
  15. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Ericsson? Well, in that relation you'd call them Swedish lire, or something.
    On the other hand, since some time, Ericsson is hardly swedish any more. They are constantly taking their business elsewhere, which is one reason we have a weak currency.

BOOTOM LINE: Sweden needs a few successful luthiers, right?:D
  16. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    LOL - Yeah, we are all upset about that and the President will probably order the flag to fly at half mast. ;)
  17. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Bring back the Westone Rail! You can have one pickup anywhere you like:
  18. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    That Westone bass looks like perverted Steiberger headless! :eek: The question is: does it sound good?

I voted Other: Hum/ Piezo combination with a blend.
  19. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA