Pickup configuration for my homemade...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Keep it simple: stick with the Fender '62 pickup and one knob

5 vote(s)
  2. Route the J and wire the Bartolinis passive.

1 vote(s)
  3. Route the J and wire the Bartolinis active.

0 vote(s)
  4. Peas and Carrots.

1 vote(s)
  1. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I'm building this bass. My current plan is to drop a Fender original '62 in it and wire one stacked volume/tone pot. That would give me a nice clean simple bass with one knob (the instrument jack is at the heel) and good tone.

However, I have both Bartolini Quad P and J pickups now, and they are looking for a home. Would it be worth it to have a J pickup cavity routed and wire the bartolinis in passive? The control cavity on the back isn't huge:

What do you reckon? I'm leaning towards the KISS principle. I suppose I could try the Barts in another P-J later if need be.

2. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Why not, rout for both pups with two knobs, experiment and decide what you like? If you prefer the single P, remove the J, put in an empty cover and leave the spare pot and knob installed but not connected. Gives you the flexibility to go back later and add the J back if you choose. Until you actually try them you're never going to know what it sounds like and what you prefer in this particular bass.

Another option would be to make a bracket for the J so that you mount it above the strings in the correct position so you can try it's sonics w/o removing wood. Just kludge the wiring for the test.
  3. ...but I vote 1 P pickup, 1 stacked knob. That bod looks sweet already- finish it!