pickup cover but no holes in bass, any advice?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lull&smooth, Jun 25, 2004.

1. lull&smooth

Jun 21, 2004
    i just recieved an old pickup cover, but my bass and pickguard have no extra holes for it.

should i allign the pickup cover and then drill the holes.
    or would i mess something up

for: a fender highway 1 j-bass

2. You can do some measuring to make sure the holes are equally lined up before you drill, be careful when drilling also, cover your bass and watch not to crack or burn the wood.

Part 2 - DETAILS

You can also purchase templates if you wish to make it close to perfect!

Pickguard Templates

There's also thread HERE at The Dude Pit.......Body and Neck Templates.

3. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    lull&smooth im also looking to do this on my HW1 Jazz. can you let us know how it went and maybe post a pic of it.
    Its a great bass isnt it.

4. What I did (different bass, same principle) was take measurements from a Fender catalog and convert to full size. I sat the cover on the bass to be sure it was right, drilled it and screwed it on.
  5. I've seen people use double-sided tape instead of screws. it can be moved easily if you don't get it right the first time, and if you change your mind, you're not stuck with holes in your bass.
  6. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    I got a few different pics of Fenders with the cover on and decided where I like it best because I've noticed they vary just a little bit from year to year,like on some the p-up screws can be seen,but on others nothing is visible.
    Its not etched in stone as long as its where YOU want it and its in the ballpark and STRAIGHT,its cool :bassist: