pickup cover by stickers?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by james spider, Jan 17, 2002.

1. james spider

james spider

Jan 17, 2002
    first of all, sorry if this is the incorrect section to post this, however it seemed the best at the time.

my question is relatively simple - would placing stickers over a soapbar pickup on my peavey bass affect the sound quality? I'm guessing that the effect they (the stickers) would have on the magnetic field would be virtually (completely?) nothing, especially compared to the plastic covering on the top of the pickups. However I don't want to put a sticker on it only to find it destroys the sound for some reason that I haven't even though of.

thanks for your time, and sorry if this question seems like it would be more appropiate for tabcrawler.

2. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I had a sticker on a pup of my Fender Jazz V for a while. There was no sound/tone diffrence with it on there. If you find you don't like it for whatever reason it would be fairly easy to remove.
  3. F-bass puts wood over their pups and it doesn't affect their sound at all. Stickers won't affect your sound or tone at all.
  4. I have to ask, why would you want to put stickers on a bass? Its like painting poka dots on a car. It just ruin sthe look especially if te stickers decide to start peeling or if you try to remove it and it doesn't come off completely.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  6. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i think f bass has it right with putting the wood over the pickups.... why exactly will a sticker detract from the aesthetical appearance of the bass? I mean plastic pickup covers are about the most un-wood like material on the bass, and can look out of place. I don't see why putting a plastic sticker over a plastic pickup cover would ruin the look of the bass any more than the pickups do by themselves. Just my rambling...