Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup cover on ABG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Dec 20, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just occurred to me, I'm tossing around the idea of installing a pickup cover over the soundhole of my ABG as an anchor point. Anyone else try something like this?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Too late, already did it :p

Kinda like it. Jazz cover over the sound hole on an ABG... interesting.

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Pics?

Thats the one thing that scared me away from ABG (and well, I don't have money and want something loud that ain't too big - impossible, I know) is not having somehwere to put my thumb :p

That and a lot of other things...

4. i don't know what i'm talking about, but wouldn't covering up the soundhole muffle the sound? or at least change it in some way?

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Pics are attached.

I really like it now, makes it feel like a Jazz bass almost. All about consistency :)

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nothing I've noticed, besides, I just use this bass for bedroom noodling.

7. that looks really nice,
    Im getting a tacoma in the near future but i dont think im gonna do that to it.

8. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Now that is extremely clever, good thinkin'.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I wouldn't either. ;)

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Thanks. Father of invention is necessity, right?

11. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    What I do on basses without a good thumbrest is install one of those stick on rubber feet that Radio Shack sells for electronics boxes. They are about 3/4" square black rubber with the perfect amount of height for me, and they can be removed easily.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Thats pretty original Tim, all the best with it. :bassist:

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    OH! The horror!

The neck makes a great anchor and acoustics sound really nice plucked way out over the top frets.

14. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Looks sweet Tim.

A few questions:

Did you just screw into the top or did you put blocks behind the top for more support?

Is that a "standard" Fender pup cover?

What's the distance between the screw holes?

I was thinking of putting a thumbrest on my ABG, but your idea looks great. Again, well done.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's just screwed into the top. It's a plywood top, not to mention all the stress is essentially being put right over the screw, so no torque, no major issues that I can forsee.

It's a standard jazz cover. I took it of my Marcus Miller while I restrung it, and left it off. Then I was playing ABG, which I never liked the anchor point on the neck, so I put 2+2 together and got 7. Don't ask, so I set it over the string, measured the same distance from the bridge on the Marcus Miller so it was in the same place in regards to the bridge so tension is equal (I use the same strings on all my basses) and marked it with sharpie. I used a slightly smaller drill bit and went right to it. Didn't think twice because I only paid $99 for this thing and it's got a slightly twisted neck.

I think it's the best idea I've had so far with this ABG.

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, I've got some of those. Never send your mother to do your job ;) ... I like the little guys for the feet on my effects, not the giant ones that cause your effects to flip over in a gust of wind :p

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It sounds pretty nice there, however, I can't get used to the whole comfort thing over there. I took the idea from Billy Sheehan, if you make all your basses just about similar, so they always hang in the same place, you're going to be many times more productive when you practice. Stuff like that.

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That's an interesting idea. But I personally like to approach different basses with completely different playing styles. I would not want to play my acoustic like my Jazz V or Brice V2 6 fretless. I like to play each bass differently.

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I feel that way too for the most part. However, up in my room is only my ABG, right next to my computer all the time. Downstairs in my pseudo-studio is everything else. Since my Marcus Miller is my main bass I wanted one to feel as close to it as I could.