Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup Cover

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wrigley, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Wrigley

Wrigley

May 26, 2002
    This may sound like a (very) silly question, but what is a pickup cover for? I know the name should probably say it all. ;)
    I've seen it on a lot of older (vintage) style basses, and even on quite a few newer ones...just wondering what it's practical purpose is? Are they good, bad, or personal preference?
    Also, since I'm asking silly question already, I have an abbreviation question....could somebody tell me what G.A.S. actually stands for? No...really....I'm serious. Try not to laugh too hard.:D

Wrigley

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im suprised you havent already encountered GAS.

GAS is when you eat some mexican food and feel a buildup in your intestines. This is usually followed by an excretion which is accompanied by a noise (loud or otherwise) and a rather unpleasant stench.

I cant imagine that youve lasted very long without ever excreting GAS.

:p

Ok ok.

It stands for: Gear Aquisation Syndrom.

Peace
    Nick

3. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Spellcheck: Gear Acquisition Syndrome

4. Pick up covers are purely cosmetic. They serve no purpose other than getting in the way. That is why most take them off.

5. Wrigley

Wrigley

May 26, 2002
    Thanks for the info guys. I figured the pickup cover was pretty well useless...I just wanted to check. G.A.S. - oohhh I get it (light bulb blinks on over head).

Chaos...I like your new Avatar...pretty cool.

Wrigley

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks Jontom.

Peace
    Nick

7. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    If you talking about the ones on Fender basses, we need to hear from one of experts on Fender basses. I recall hearing a number of speculative ideas that they were:

to prevent the strings from pressing against the poles if you lied the bass down on its front, or in the case;

to enhance the magnetic field so that the pickup could sense the strings better.

to act as a cosmetic device to hide the pick ups which were considered ugly in the early models. In the early P basses and the Telecaster, you may recall that the pickips weren't encased in black plastic; they were these ugly things where you could see the casing and the wire wraps.

Actually I'm not sure what the real reason for them was. I look forward to hearing from a Fender historian.

More recently, some slap bassists like Marcus Miller report that they use the front pickup cover as a palm rest for the slap position of their right hand.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I dont care what theyre for, they just look really cool, and classy.

Peace
    Nick

9. If you do decide to take them off For Goodness sake KEEP THEM SAFE. I know this may go without saying but they do add resale value to the Bass (Normally Arround 10% )

when it comes to things like old fenders Most buyers want everything to be origanal nad as it was when it was made.

10. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Marcus Miller has the pick up cover, that's cool for me!

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    See, I knew that, in time, someone would ask about this G.A.S. phenomenon, thus relieving me of the embarrassment of having to do so. ;)

12. Of course, F Basses have a different type of pickup cover than the old Fender ones - wood from the body top pickup cutouts, which covers the pickups. These are for aesthetic purposes only - I like 'em... :D
    [​IMG]

13. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    On the older Rickenbacker 4001's(pre 70's), the bridge pick up cover(identified by a gap between the A & D strings) served a very important purpose. It was actually two horse shoe magnets that gave it that classic RIC sound. Wouldn't want to remove those!

14. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Blg O,

I totally agree!