1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pickup covers on a p/j bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gord_oh, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    pretty sure this is the right topic...
    anyway.
    i have a white sx p/j bass with a tort pg and some other modifications. i want to put a chrome bridgecover and pickup cover on it to give it that old school look to it.
    i know theres not really a right or wrong but i wanted to know what people think....
    could this look good with a pbass bridge cover and pbass pickup cover or will it look stupid with the jazz pu hanging out?

thoughts? comments?

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Hm..

I think you should go both P pickup covers, as the huge Jazz cover would look awkward.

Though it may also be the vice versa, with the Jazz cover being really cool and different. Hm..

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Personally, as my picking hand placement is often my primary tone control... I say bare nekkid bass is the way to go. The covers do nothing for me aesthetically, they don't do anything tonally and they inhibit your picking hand by cluttering the top.

4. Go for the p bridge and pup covers and replace the black casing for the j pup with white casing.

5. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    +1. Good idea. IF the pickup cover doesn't bother your picking hand. Unfotunately, It does bother mine, I freaking LOVE the way they look......

6. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    oooo....i kinda like that.
    the are seymour duncans though....getting rid of the bassline logo.
    hmmmm....perhaps.
    that is a good idea.

7. +1.
    The covers severely hinder your right hand technique.
    I don't want any crap on my bass that's going to limit me.

Plus, I have always thought they were extremely hideous. For the life of me,I am never going to understand what makes them visually appealing to some people.

8. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    They are shiny.

9. Exactly shiny is good when you have ADD they keep you focused on the bass.