Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup covers :stupid question:

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kruton, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    I would just like to simply know how a pickup cover (Jazz) screws in. Sorry.

2. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    the pickup is glued in the cover.

3. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    So your saying that my bass, which came without a pickup cover, can't have one unless I mod it?

4. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    no, only some pickup covers are glued/epoxied on, alot of the time, the actual pickup is not attached to the cover. bassically the cover screws into the body of the bass, and then there is some sort of resistance below the pickup to push it up into the cover and keep everything stable. its usually some sort of foam, or a couple springs or something.
    hope that helps you out.

5. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    Are you talking about a chrome pickup cover? Like an Ashtray-type cover? If your bass came without a pickup cover, I assume you mean the vintage style chrome covers. I can't imagine a bass coming with uncovered pickups.

If you want to mount one of those just buy a cover, test fit it, mark where the holes go, drill pilot holes, and mount with pickgaurd screws.

6. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Yeah thats exactly what I mean. Thanks!