Pickup Covers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by astronauts_suck, Dec 24, 2005.

1. I don't get 'em or at least I don't see a real function. I like the look of a jazz with ashtrays, but what's the point? Why put a cover over the bridge pup on a Rick, it just gets in the way.....Now I don't hate them, I just find them unnecesarry.

Someone tell me the reasons companies put covers over pups.....seriously.
  2. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    A very very long time ago, it was used to improve shielding, with advances in technology, it became uneccesary before too long but now they are fitted purely for the vintage vibe (to me, they look the bomb, the neck cover is a pain for playing though).
  3. Its just like gold tuners, or a quilted maple top or such, asthetics man!
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think I answer this question twice a week...
  5. Really? Search didn't prove anything useful......

So, what's the answer?
  6. steve21

steve21 Banned

That didn't answer it?
  7. M.D.S.

Nov 8, 2004
    Just out of curiosity, anyone has ever made wooden fender ashtray-style pickup covers?

I thought about this the other day and I thought if you could do it properly then it might look interesting on a natural-finish bass...

8. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    That has a lot of potential for badass-ity. Sounds like a neat idea to me.
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  10. Ok, so some people will like to rest thier hands on them or whatnot, and some of the original ones also had bits of foam to mute the strings (i think), but alot of them are just for asthetics now . . . better answer?
  11. Yea it is, but the "So what's the answer" was aimed at Tim, wanted to hear his responce.
  12. TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
    That would be something to see!
  13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Simple, modern ones are aesthetic.

Old ones were used to assist in shielding and they had foam mutes under them.

All in the threads I've linked.